280 JDJ or 280 Ackley Improved

7ultra

Well, I've been moving closer and closer to a final decision. After some thought, I am going to go custom with this Encore pistol. Contenders (no pun intended) are Bullberry, Virgin Valley and SSK. So far I am pretty much set on a big 280 class cartridge. Looking over some of my load refrences I found the 280 JDJ, which puts out some incredible ballistics. However, I have a few questions. How user friendly will the 60 degree shoulder be for reloading compared to the 40 on the Ackley improved? Secondly, how much of a performance gain is there over the Ackley? Finally, and this has more to do with the gun makers themselves, is SSK worth the jump in price? It just seems to me that the SSK products are priced consistently higher than the other manufacturers (for instance, all but SSK include a trigger tune with the frames they sell free--SSK charges 95 bucks). One of the pluses for the SSK though would be the 280 JDJ or other proprietary rounds. Any thoughts/imput on my questions is appreciated.

7Ultra,

Personally I would go with the 280 AI myself. I really do not like moving shoulders around when fireforming. In a handgun barrel the ballistic performance will be basically identical.

I have seen some listed data for JDJ loads that were very hard on brass and when toned down to where good case life was, they offered little over the AI rounds and are much harder to load for.

Also, what do dies run for the 280 JDJ? You can get a set of Redding 280 AI dies for not much more then a standard set of dies.

YOu will never see a difference in the field, they are much easier to load for and dies are much cheaper, I would go 280 AI all the way and never look back.

Just me though!!

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

7ultra,

I am taking my M700 to the gunsmith today, going to have the action blueprinted and rebarreled to a 280 Rem AI. I am going with a Hart 24" flutted #5 countoured barrel.

I also have a Contender in 7X30 Waters. My best 3 shot group @ 100 yds is .225"! I am going to leave this one alone for now. I have a friend who is a big fan of SSK. He shoots 6.5 JDJ, 7X30 JDJ, 309 JDJ and 375 JDJ. All his barrels are from JD Jones (SSK) and they all are great shooters.

Regards,

JD338

Good points and thank you all,
Pretty much lined up with what I was thinking. I think I am going to go with Bullberry, 280 AI. Thanks again for all the input and help over the past few weeks.

Good decision. You'll be happy with their barrels. Use 270 win brass to make your 280AI. Web is much stronger than using 280 brass. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you use the 270 brass be sure to open the case necks up to 30 cal first and then neck back down to 7mm positioning the shoulder in the correct location as it is farther forward then the other members of the '06 clan. This will control case stretching on fireforming loads as well as keep things safe!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
So your saying to run the 270 brass through an '06 sizer, then through the 280 AI sizer?

Cowboy,
I definitely will. Depending on how fast communication goes and production, I hope to have the gun by mid-May to early June, all depending on how long it takes to make.

7ultra,

Yes, if you do not you will have excessive headspace and in while in a tight custom chamber this would probably not lead to a firearm failure, it will at best severly stretch your case heads dramatically shortening case life.

At worst, you will have a total case head seperation and then things get exciting.

TO be honest, for the pressure limits the Encore system should be subjected to, I would just use the correct 280 Rem brass. If oyu push the loads hard enough to see any advantage in the thicker case head of the 270, you will be getting frame flexing as well.

Good SHooting,

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.