.308 Winchester - Swift Scirocco or Hornady Interbond for moose/bison?

TravisN

I shoot factory Hornady Superformance 165gr SSTs out of my .308 Winchester for everything from antelope to elk, and they perform great. I am getting close to having enough points to draw a bison or Siras moose and am trying to decide what bullet to go with. If the factory Hornady Superformance 165gr Interbonds were available, the decision would be easier, but it looks like I am going to have to hand-load. If you had to choose would you go with the Swift Scirocco or Hornady Interbond bullet? Or am I asking the Ford vs Chevy question? Also, would you go 165gr or 180gr? Thanks.

I shoot factory Hornady Superformance 165gr SSTs out of my .308 Winchester for everything from antelope to elk, and they perform great. I am getting close to having enough points to draw a bison or Siras moose and am trying to decide what bullet to go with. If the factory Hornady Superformance 165gr Interbonds were available, the decision would be easier, but it looks like I am going to have to hand-load. If you had to choose would you go with the Swift Scirocco or Hornady Interbond bullet? Or am I asking the Ford vs Chevy question? Also, would you go 165gr or 180gr? Thanks.

The 180 Swift is a VERY good bullet in my testing! They expand well and also hold together very well over a range of velocities. They also have a higher b.c., but that will not likely factor in as much at the ranges you will likely be shooting......Rich

Aren't the new ELD's based off the interbond? But before I'd try them on such an exclusive hunt I'd want some good feedback first.

I agree w/ the above. I wouldn't attack a bison w/ anything smaller than 180gr.

The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA; 24" barrel, 1-in-12 twist.

Due to the nature of both of these species, shots would be less than 200 yards, likely less than 100.

The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA; 24" barrel, 1-in-12 twist.

Due to the nature of both of these species, shots would be less than 200 yards, likely less than 100.

I have taken moose with 6.5 up to .338 a few with 30-06 and 180 grain partitions and then accubonds once they came out. Our moose here in western Canada are usually bigger than the Shiras on average but you could bump into a huge one you never know. They are not as hard to kill as elk but you can have the odd one that is tuff to get down. At the ranges you mention your 308 is just fine with a good bullet 165-180 accubond partition barnes tsx ect with good penetration is the ticket and an exit hole is a good thing. Shoot him in the lungs and if he gives you a chance at a second shot drill him again even a third if you can get it into him. Moose have a habit of dying in nasty places if they get a chance to move away!!!! The high shoulder shot is your best bet if there is nasty tangle around it hits the lungs and also knocks them down so you can get a finisher in if you need it. Can't say on the buff never had the chance to hunt one and probably will not ever get the chance.

Once the moose hits the ground the fun is over and the back breaking work begins LOL then the suburb eating soon there after

Best of luck to you on getting that tag

I have taken moose with 6.5 up to .338 a few with 30-06 and 180 grain partitions and then accubonds once they came out. Our moose here in western Canada are usually bigger than the Shiras on average but you could bump into a huge one you never know. They are not as hard to kill as elk but you can have the odd one that is tuff to get down. At the ranges you mention your 308 is just fine with a good bullet 165-180 accubond partition barnes tsx ect with good penetration is the ticket and an exit hole is a good thing. Shoot him in the lungs and if he gives you a chance at a second shot drill him again even a third if you can get it into him. Moose have a habit of dying in nasty places if they get a chance to move away!!!! The high shoulder shot is your best bet if there is nasty tangle around it hits the lungs and also knocks them down so you can get a finisher in if you need it. Can't say on the buff never had the chance to hunt one and probably will not ever get the chance.

Once the moose hits the ground the fun is over and the back breaking work begins LOL then the suburb eating soon there after

Best of luck to you on getting that tag

You can tell hypersonic actually has moose hunting experience. He's 100% spot on.

My buddies and I have killed a pile of mature Alaska/Yukon bulls. 308s work fine. It just takes a good bullet but that also applies to bigger cartridges too.

You can tell hypersonic actually has moose hunting experience. He's 100% spot on.

My buddies and I have killed a pile of mature Alaska/Yukon bulls. 308s work fine. It just takes a good bullet but that also applies to bigger cartridges too.

Oops forgot to add that my 2012 moose was taken with my 35 Whelen so that's from 6.5 up to 35 not 6.5 up to 338. Sorry for the error.

Moose tenderloin tonight yum yum

I have been in on three different Shiras kills with 3 different weapons shot from 20 to 720 yards. They were shot with 6.5 A.I./140 partition, 300 Sherman/190 gr. home brewed, and 300 ultra/home brewed 195. None of them went anywhere, but don't expect them to drop in there tracks unless you break them down! They usually just stand there and look dumb until they realize they are dead, and then fall over. A 308 with a good bullet will work fine if placed in the boiler room. Just be patient!:D....Rich

I have been in on three different Shiras kills with 3 different weapons shot from 20 to 720 yards. They were shot with 6.5 A.I./140 partition, 300 Sherman/190 gr. home brewed, and 300 ultra/home brewed 195. None of them went anywhere, but don't expect them to drop in there tracks unless you break them down! They usually just stand there and look dumb until they realize they are dead, and then fall over. A 308 with a good bullet will work fine if placed in the boiler room. Just be patient!:D....Rich
Standing there dumb is a good one; seen a few get hit and just freeze wondering what the heck just happened. If it weren't for the steam bellowing out from behind the shoulder we would have thought we made a clean miss. Sometimes it is the second shot that gets them running and this can be a bad thing especially if there is water nearby. Moose aren't particularly hard to kill, but they are tough on bullets. I would use the 180 sciroccos if you can get them to shoot. I watched a nice 60" moose get taken with these out of a 300 RUM. Range was 100-125 yards and both shots were clean pass through with a jellied boiler room, he stumbled 20 yards and keeled over. For bison I would lean more toward a swift a-frame or barnes bullet, but I would still use the scirocco if it shot well and you are careful picking your shot. For less than 100 yards I like neck shots as field dressing them is so much cleaner and you anchor them instantly. Moose have 10-12 gallons of blood, so the boiler room can get a bit messy with a heart and lung shot.

Reuben

For Moose suggest the Swift A Frame.........either 180gr or 200gr in the 300 Win Mag.

This Bullet is from my Moose this year just over 325 yards......

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.