Hornady Interbond

dakor

I am wondering if anyone is using these bullets and how is the Accuracy? I was told they are junk by a guy that works at one of the sporting Good stores here. He claims he tried them in a couple of his rifles and they would not shoot at all. Anyone using them?

Tried them in two rifles last year and came to the conclusion that they were junk. Two inch groups out of guns that later shot 1/2" groups with Accubonds.
A friend of mine at Barnes Bullets ran them through a couple consistency tests not available to reloaders and said it was one of the worst bullets they had tested. However, some people who have tried them more recently say that they are shooting better now. Maybe they fixed their problems.

Had some first production bullets to test. They were match bullet accurate. Slightly longer then the SST's of equal weight, they will have a higher BC then the SST's which in turn out fly all SP hunting bullets of same cal and weight.

The only way to know is to try them in your rifle.

Conversely, I have never been able to get Barnes bullets to shoot. Many have though...

Jerry

i tried them in a .280 that was an excellent shooter,and a 7mag, 140gr and threw the rest of the box away.

I shoot the 30 cal 150 interbonds between 3750 fps and 3800 fps in my 30-338 laupa imp, and they work great. Even at those speeds they retain 75 percent of their mass in a perfect mushroom. They are a excellent killing bullet I have used them on white tails form 10 yards to 450 yards with devestating results. I don't like hornadys but they shoot in most of my guns and they kill. My over bore 30 laupa will shoot .25 inch with the interbonds, so I am very happy. Try the nosler and the hornady and shoot which ever one your rifle likes.

I have never shot game with the Interbonds, but I've loaded a great number of them for guides that prefer them and ask for them by name. If that means anything, it does not seem to be an objection from them over accuracy only that they like them because they preform well on game.

I am working on a load with the 150 gr .308 IB in my .30-06. I am very pleased with the results. Using steady sticks and a high sitting position for my comfort I am shooting 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 and haven't papered them at other yardages yet, but they have very explosive results on jack rabbits out at 50, 75, and 310 yards. I am anxious to use these on my antelope this fall to see their performance on big game. I am sure I'll be pleased though.

I tried the 165 Interbond in an accurate 300 SAUM. I never could get it below an inch. Tried them in a few other 30 cals and only found that my old 30-06 would get them down to .8 with some work. I loaded them all up for the '06 and use it as a loaner rifle. I found the Barnes work great in the SAUM.
I guess they can be accurate, but it sure seemed to take a lot of work.

I tried the 180's in my .300 Win Mag and could not get them to group well. Nosler Accubonds shot much better with similar charges. I used some of the leftovers for short-range hog rounds in a .30-06.

I shoot them in my 338 RUM the 250gr round nose bullets and they all want to use the same hole and my 300 Win Mag I put three inside 3/4" at 200 yds. Can't ask for anything better than that from those bullets. I shot a deer at 180 yds and that deer went down with those bullets. 180LB.

I went out dogging this morning and got to help out a sheep herder with a little yote problem.

I was just riding around looking for a place to shoot because my usual spot was overrun with cattle that were just released on BLM land. I had heard of others seeing an occaisonal coyote out here and it was a beautiful morning, so I was going to see what I could see. I went off on a road that I hadn't been on yet and ended up running into a herd of sheep and a hereders camp in the middle of the two track. When I went to go around the camp, the herder came running out yelling, "You have gun! You have gun!" I thought to myself, "DUH, it's in the rack in the window" and stopped to see why he was so excited that I had my rifle with me. As soon as I stopped he pointed to the other side of the Ridge and said "Coyote" I asked him to show me where it was and we took off for the ridge line. When we go to the top, the coyote was lurking towards a ewe and her lamb. I couldn't get the range finder to read off the fur so I had to just estimate. I guessed it at 325-350, so held the first mil down on the dogs back as it trotted away from me. Fired one shot and watched fur fly. All the herder would say is "GOOD, GOOD"

The interbond promply put a stop to wilee's chace at 350. The bullet entered the left hip and exited with the right shoulder. Wish I would have had a camera!! There was no yelp out of this yote, just a big bloody skid mark.

By the way things looked when I went to inspect, the bullet hit the hip bone on the way in causing very dramatic expansion and then traveled on to make contact with the shoulder joint, shoving it through the hide on exit. It ruined the hide, but was well worth it to me. I gave the man a flask full of CLC out of my tool box reserves for such times and told him thanks.

I have run into this man before and have always asked him about coyotes, and then given him something fresh to eat or whiskey or beer if I have it with me. I was taught to do this by the guy we get our horses from for hunting elk. His herders don't speak much english, but can tell you what you need to know if you have something they would be willing to trade for.

Most of the time you won't get to the animal you ask about, but sometimes it works out great.

I can only attest to the Interbond's accuracy in one rifle that I have, and that is a 7 Mag shooting 63.0g of IMR 4350, Rem brass, 9 1/2 primer, and the 154g Interbond. The rifle shoots with the bullets touching at 100 yards.

I my nephew killed three bucks with the same rifle two years ago using the 154g SST that shot .400 groups, I just substituted the same load with the 154g Interbond and the rifle shoots fantastic.

Also may mention that the same rifle shoots the 162g SST into a single hole at 100 yards using 61.0g of IMR 4350...never killed a thing with it.

In many 700 remm 7 mags over the years, I have had exceptional accuracy with the Hornady 154g std lead tip spitzer using 63.0g of IMR 4350. Terminal performance with this bullet is outstanding on deer and hogs.

Last year, a friend shot a large hog in Texas with a 30/06 using a factory load of 180g Hornady BT, that made a HUGE hole all the way through a 250 lb hog.

I must admit that I hated Hornady bullet for a while in my hunting career, but in the last 6 years, I have learned to appreciate the terminal ballistics on this company's bullets. I have recovered several 7mm 154g Interlock bullets from does that I shot at quartering angles shot at distances, and I can in fact report that the bullet's Interlock ring at the base of the bullet does indeed work.

Good luck!

I shoot 150 grain Interbonds out of my '06 and I've had cloverleaf patters at 100 so I'd say they shoot well out of my gun. I've shot three big Saskatchewan deer with them and the Interbonds performed very well. It's my bullet of choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.