308 Win vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Ford Vs Chevy which is better? It's all a matter of preference and practicality. There is soooo much excellent information on here that you could easily argue either way.
Took me a while to think up a response to your comment, which I found very interesting, by the way. I guess the reason I like the 308Win so much is its versatility. From a bullet testing perspective it is hard to beat. You can make loads easily from subsonic to supersonic that work out to 1400-1500 yds. Heck, a guy in Australia has posted videos on UTube of shots to 3000 yds using the 308Win. Barrel life is the best, and it does not eat up a lot of powder/shot. It works really well with a variety of barrel lengths all the way from 16.5-30". Lately I have been interested in the temp stable double based ball powder evolution and how they enhance the performance of our bullets. The 308 Win is the perfect discovery platform for that. I have used Trail Boss to 50BMG for one type or another test in that cartridge and got it to work. Brass is usually available and I love the fact that it is available in large and small rifle primer configurations. It is the parent cartridge for a large variety of wildcats that have been commercially successful from 6 mm up to .358 caliber. It works well in all types of actions from single shot to the mini gun machine gun. To sum it up, I think the 308 Win is the Chevy or Ford of the gun industry.

If you are shooting or hunting at 400 yards or less, does not mater go with either. But if you are shooting 500 yards or more the 6.5 Creedmoor is king. I know. Have 308s that I have shot for years, l love both, but if I need to take a shot at 600 yards, the Creedmoor will deliver.

Define East? Peacemaker national training center in WV has 1k. Pa has a couple I'm aware of Mifflin county sportsman is the only one I've been to In PA.
Harry Jones in Fairview wv goes to 1,000. Lawrence Co Sportsmans north of Pitt goes to 600 or 700 in PA.

I am a 308 fan as I learned long range shooting it. I hated on the creed because current bullet technology with "the best" bullets were compared to 1990s technology with the 308. Fast forward to earlier this year, out of frustration with a wildcat not living up to it's hype, I picked up a Proof 6.5 creed barrel for an older Savage.... Why did I wait so long!!!??? It is a case designed right...To shoot the heavy 308s you need to do a littel extra, the creed just load from the mag and go...It takes a lot to keep a lighter weight hunting rifle shooting big heavies out of a 308, I think it is the torque on the way out of the tube.

I still love the 308. Hard to not have one in the safe, you know for when the zombies come...hell you can pull ammo of a gun truck in a pinch...

For my guns this is what my numbers work out to.

308 Win 20" barrel
215 Berger
Rl16 @ 2493 FPS
at 1000 yards Vel 1430, E 976, Drop 10.1 Mils, Drift 1.9 Mils. With a 24" barrel, this would do even better with the wind

6.5 Creed 24" barrel
140gr Berger HVLD
Rl16 @ 2743 FPS (RL 26 will be next-thanks @Creedmoor shooter )
at 1000 yards Vel 1467, E 669, Drop 8.7 Mils, Drift 2.0 Mils. With more velocity from Rl26 this would do better too.

I recently tried some Staball 6.5 in this 308 with 200gr Sierra Game Kings and believe it or not, pressured out!!! I have not ran into pressure with any of the others I have tried as I ran out of case capacity first. May break in to the stash of the 215s and give it a go. However with the lack of these, it is hard to justify them in such a small case when the RUM shoots them so well, so far...

It all depends on commitment level, if you want to push either start with Lapua small primer brass, the 308 will need throated to run 200+ gr bullets the 6.5 Creed is there already.

I have a 308 on a long action that has significant throat wear to the point I seat 215 Bergers about half way down the neck so I can run them jambed, I can push them over 2600fps in thay rifle, it's not an issue to shoot out to a mile and I've shot ten shot groups with it at 1535 for fun. It will kill well beyond what most would imagine it would with that specific bullet. You do need an optic that you can crank on some serious elevation!!!
The 6.5 Creed just wins in the easy category, especially if you target shooting, easier to push easier to shoot due to recoil but the bullets won't hold up on the farthest limits if you want to hunt.

I like them both but it's much easier to just leave each in their respective lanes and enjoy them for what they are, fun to see what they can do but there is a reason we have the next size up chambering for everything in minor increments!!

It all depends on commitment level, if you want to push either start with Lapua small primer brass, the 308 will need throated to run 200+ gr bullets the 6.5 Creed is there already.

I have a 308 on a long action that has significant throat wear to the point I seat 215 Bergers about half way down the neck so I can run them jambed, I can push them over 2600fps in thay rifle, it's not an issue to shoot out to a mile and I've shot ten shot groups with it at 1535 for fun. It will kill well beyond what most would imagine it would with that specific bullet. You do need an optic that you can crank on some serious elevation!!!
The 6.5 Creed just wins in the easy category, especially if you target shooting, easier to push easier to shoot due to recoil but the bullets won't hold up on the farthest limits if you want to hunt.

I like them both but it's much easier to just leave each in their respective lanes and enjoy them for what they are, fun to see what they can do but there is a reason we have the next size up chambering for everything in minor increments!!
Well said!

If you are shooting or hunting at 400 yards or less, does not mater go with either. But if you are shooting 500 yards or more the 6.5 Creedmoor is king. I know. Have 308s that I have shot for years, l love both, but if I need to take a shot at 600 yards, the Creedmoor will deliver.
What bullet are you shooting from your 308 and at what speed?

I am a 308 fan as I learned long range shooting it. I hated on the creed because current bullet technology with "the best" bullets were compared to 1990s technology with the 308. Fast forward to earlier this year, out of frustration with a wildcat not living up to it's hype, I picked up a Proof 6.5 creed barrel for an older Savage.... Why did I wait so long!!!??? It is a case designed right...To shoot the heavy 308s you need to do a littel extra, the creed just load from the mag and go...It takes a lot to keep a lighter weight hunting rifle shooting big heavies out of a 308, I think it is the torque on the way out of the tube.

I still love the 308. Hard to not have one in the safe, you know for when the zombies come...hell you can pull ammo of a gun truck in a pinch...

For my guns this is what my numbers work out to.

308 Win 20" barrel
215 Berger
Rl16 @ 2493 FPS
at 1000 yards Vel 1430, E 976, Drop 10.1 Mils, Drift 1.9 Mils. With a 24" barrel, this would do even better with the wind

6.5 Creed 24" barrel
140gr Berger HVLD
Rl16 @ 2743 FPS (RL 26 will be next-thanks @Creedmoor shooter )
at 1000 yards Vel 1467, E 669, Drop 8.7 Mils, Drift 2.0 Mils. With more velocity from Rl26 this would do better too.

I recently tried some Staball 6.5 in this 308 with 200gr Sierra Game Kings and believe it or not, pressured out!!! I have not ran into pressure with any of the others I have tried as I ran out of case capacity first. May break in to the stash of the 215s and give it a go. However with the lack of these, it is hard to justify them in such a small case when the RUM shoots them so well, so far...
What load of SB6.5 pressured out with the 215s and how far off the lands were you?

What load of SB6.5 pressured out with the 215s and how far off the lands were you?
Haven't shot the 215s with it 6.5 Staball yet. 200gr Sierra Game Kings-settled at 48gr. Pressure was at 48.5gr before I got ejector marks in FC cases. Did a seating test. Next will be velocity (mag speed). These are .020" off the lands at 2.850" COAL.

FWIW 215s and Rl16 were at 3.058" COAL at .004" off the lands. May try 6.5 Staball when the 215s show up a little more often.

If you're hunting, at three hundred and under use either one. Over three hundred, 75% of the people on this forum shouldn't be taking a shot on game animals. JMO.

(I include myself in the 75%)

Last edited:
If you use the Hodgdon reloading data, what they consider max for each cartridge for a 6.5cm with a 153.5gr bullet and a 308win with a 155gr bullet....the 6.5CM doesn't overtake the 308 until 800yrds ballistically. If you also use a 1000lbs of energy as a minimum then the 6.5CM gets you to 800yrds whereas the 308 drops below that minimum just past 600yrds. Pick one and go smash critters.