308 Win vs 6.5 Creedmoor

nralifer

This may be a "red meat" thread, but I am not trying to stir up passions about which one is "better," rather I would like to see some dispassionate discussion about the merits and demerits of each cartridge. I personally like the 308 Win very much and it has become my go to hunting round for virtually everything I hunt except Prairie Dogs. In terms of bullet sales, the 6.5 cal bullets are the strongest sellers just behind the 100 gr .243 bullets. I do own a 6.5x47 from which I am able to duplicate 6.5 Creed ballistics and gel test our bullets. So there you have it. Would love some 6.5 experts to chime in.

Certainly no expert, but 5-600 yards seems to be the point where the 6.5 begins to take over. Inside of that, I'm uncertain that there is enough ballistic advantage to make the 308 worth the extra recoil. Its simply that the 6.5 was designed well from the beginning to be a relatively low recoil long range cartridge and the rifles were barreled with the appropriate twist rates to do so. For the case capacity, the 308 would be severely handicapped to run bullets with similar BC's and SD's at the same velocities. I like both cartridges and each has its place.

Well...for what application?

I've been a .308 guy for over 30 years. I got into a 6.5 G, .260, and 6.5C about four years ago. They are all great and 6.5G is lightyears better than 5.56 in an AR platform. But most of my hunting is within 350m and I still love my .308 and take it anytime I plan on walking and about 50% of the time I plan on sitting. If I was reaching out much further it would probably be .260 or 6.5C, but only on animals human-ish size/300lbs. Larger out that far I'd probably go 6.5x284 at least but more likely 7mm/300 mag. My daughter shoots PRS and we're planning on moving her to a 6.5x47 but for hunting guns I'd like to stick with more redily available/common calibers.

Well...for what application?

I've been a .308 guy for over 30 years. I got into a 6.5 G, .260, and 6.5C about four years ago. They are all great and 6.5G is lightyears better than 5.56 in an AR platform. But most of my hunting is within 350m and I still love my .308 and take it anytime I plan on walking and about 50% of the time I plan on sitting. If I was reaching out much further it would probably be .260 or 6.5C, but only on animals human-ish size/300lbs. Larger out that far I'd probably go 6.5x284 at least but more likely 7mm/300 mag. My daughter shoots PRS and we're planning on moving her to a 6.5x47 but for hunting guns I'd like to stick with more redily available/common calibers.
Certainly no expert, but 5-600 yards seems to be the point where the 6.5 begins to take over. Inside of that, I'm uncertain that there is enough ballistic advantage to make the 308 worth the extra recoil. Its simply that the 6.5 was designed well from the beginning to be a relatively low recoil long range cartridge and the rifles were barreled with the appropriate twist rates to do so. For the case capacity, the 308 would be severely handicapped to run bullets with similar BC's and SD's at the same velocities. I like both cartridges and each has its place.
So why do you think the 6.5 Creed is better at 500+ yds?

So why do you think the 6.5 Creed is better at 500+ yds?
It's like cheating on your wind and range calls compared to 308 and it has about the same energy. I don't have my ballistic apps with me right now but just run it in AB with a 5mph full value wind, 6.5 is going to be an easy hold/favor where as .308 is going to be like close to two MIL. Difference in 10% range estimation issue out there is going to make a similar difference.

**note these are generalities off the top of my head, not hard data.

It's like cheating on your wind and range calls compared to 308 and it has about the same energy. I don't have my ballistic apps with me right now but just run it in AB with a 5mph full value wind, 6.5 is going to be an easy hold/favor where as .308 is going to be like close to two MIL. Difference in 10% range estimation issue out there is going to make a similar difference.

**note these are generalities off the top of my head, not hard data.
so what are the loads you are comparing?

if both are loaded with comparable bullet weights and BC, one being mono and one cup and core the old theories get thrown out the window. some of these new monos really can bring new life to the old classics if people wanted to reload them. for me the good old 308 is just fine for most situations

Well, the .308 is kinda like the 6.5 creedmoor except it's designed for men. 😂 jk. I think one of the main advantages of the .308 that a lot of people overlook is actually one of the reason people have moved to the 6.5's and that is recoil. The .308 is going to keep you honest and keep you fresh on your fundamentals. One other very big advantage is barrel life. In my opinion it's a perfect training cartridge for someone that wants to do things right.

Nralirer over the past 25 years I too have gone to the 308 win. Which is crazy because I started my deer hunting career with a 25-06. Really fast, really flat. Then something really strange happened when I started guiding and seeing animals get killed. You get to see first hand hundreds of animals get shot. And 99% of those shots are under 500 yds. In the guiding world I'm guessing 75% of shots were not perfect placement. But if they were shot with a 30 cal hole we were able to track and recover the animals. Not so much with the smaller calibers. 308 pros are number one for me it kills better. Ammo availability and cost, 308. Barrel life, 308. Inherit accuracy prob a tie. Brass and reloading components 308. And that is probably due to the popularity of the 6.5 but there is less on the shelves. I have a 6.5 Creed and had a PRC. Advantage for them is gonna be lighter recoil for the Creed I notice no difference from the 308 and PRC. Biggest advantage is past 600 yds. If you are going to shoot a lot of paper and steel 600 yds and beyond the 6.5 has the advantage here. Hype...6.5 definitely wins that trophy. For a nuts and bolts hunting rifle out to 600 yds from Javelina to Moose give me a 308!

if both are loaded with comparable bullet weights and BC, one being mono and one cup and core the old theories get thrown out the window. some of these new monos really can bring new life to the old classics if people wanted to reload them. for me the good old 308 is just fine for most situations
Totally agree. There is a lot of improvement to be done in the sniper application of the 308, both in throat design and definitely in projectiles, especially in AP bullets. Also it can be used in subsonic loads and shoot accurately and silently to 700 yds. I've done it with a 155 gr mono and from the same rifle that shoots supersonic rounds.

Where in hell do I go to shoot over 500 yards here in the east?