.308 or .300 For Hunting Pigs & Deer

Thanks for all the responsed guys. I have been thinking and since I may go Elk hunting in the next couple of years I had decided to go with the .300 and install an HS Precision tactical stock on it. Now, I get the bad news from HS and they don't make a stock for the long action/ only short action...kinda hard to believe, but that is what they said. Anybody have any stock recommendations? The new Savage 110fcp comes with a detachable box, fluted barrell, and has a muzzle brake..man it looks nice.

Contact Joel Russo for a beautiful laminated stock at a reasonable price.
240w7.jpg

240w6.jpg

Thanks again for all the responses...Ikeep hearing how accurate the .308 is...what about the .300? is the .300 going to be as accurate as the .308?

what about the .300? is the .300 going to be as accurate as the .308?

Hell yeah!...I'm getting .3's outta my Savage @ 100yds (180gn NBT @ 3100fps). I've only shot this load once at 300yds but the group measured 1.7", at 560 yds the group grew to 3.6". These were fired from the hood of my truck with a rear sandbag under the forearm. The .300 is just as accurate with a lot more authority. JohnnyK.

ot looking to dis the .308's one bit as I have one and love it to pieces.

The thing about the 300 is that you can drop the loads down to a much more tolerable level for general shooting and practice and still have a hell of a rifle. The lower loads will also help you to keep some life in the barrel as well.

With the .308, you can only go so far and your still not in the ball park of the 300 with the heavier weight bullets.

There are pro's and Con's to both calibers, but the end result is if you are satisfied with the purchase. Either one out to 500yds will do anything you could ask of them if you do your part.

As to a great stock, as mentioned contact Joel. He will work with you and build you something to be proud of. I had fully intended on having him build one for my 25-06 AI, but instead ended up getting a go ahead for a matching HS for my Christmas present. I am still saving for the one i discussed with Joel, so if I don't like how the HS works out he will get the next call.

Good Luck and enjoy your new rifle which ever it ends up being.

The .308 winchester, will anchor anything that walks in America if two things are present. #1. the shooter has the marksmanship skill to launch a well constructed 180 grain hunting bullet into the vital organs. #2. the intended game is within the effective range of the .308 cartridge. With that being said, the .300 magnum has a greator margin for error when it comes to shot placement.

I just wanted to let you guys know I appreciate the responses. I decided to go with the Savage 110FCP-K .300 win mag, so yesterday I went and ordered it $839 I think it was a decent price. I think I am going to like this rifle and can't wait to get it. Now I just have to figure out what scope to get.

Just purchased a 110fcp-k 300wm on Gunbroker for $674.95 + $25.00 ship/insurance. Have seen several around $700-730 plus $25-40 shipping. Also, have the transfer FFL fee on your end.....$15-40. Looking forward to trying the 300WM for long range shooting. Has anyone experienced shooting the 110fcp-K 300wm or 10fcp-k in 308? These models have the heavy fluted bbl and muzzlebrake.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.