This weekend hunting pigs and coyotes

long450

This ia a brief report of hunting in southeast Texas for pigs and coyotes. I took a group of 5 other hunters in hopes to reduce the pig population on the deer lease this weekend. The land owner has reported seeing herds of pigs with 20 to 30 in a bunch.

We killed 3 coyotes and 1 pig. The cattle are calving and the coyotes were looking for some veal. We saw 8 coyotes in total. The coyotes sighted were as follows:

Hunter A saw 3 together and missed a shot. All 3 vanished at the shot.

Hunter B saw 4 together and got 1 with the 300 RUM 168 gr SMK. The rest diasappeared before a second shot could be made. The 168 SMK made a 3 inch exit hole. The shot was about 140 yards slightly quartering toward the hunter. He also shot 1 the previous day that he hit and knocked down , but it went off into some very thick briars and was not recovered.

Hunter C shot 1 with 308 Win 165 Hornady Interlock bullet. The shot was 180 yards slightly quartering toward the hunter, about 2" exit.

As far as pigs went, only 1 was killed. Hunter A had 10 appear at a deer feeder and shot a 90# pig broadside with the 300 Rum 168 SMK. There was a 3" exit hole. This same hunter missed a pig the next evening.

None of the other hunters including me, saw anything to shoot. Lots of activity, but all at night.

I may try again next weekend, and take the spotlight.

Last edited:
at least ur finding pigs, its soooo dry here in Lee County that pigs are scarce and piggy hunting sucks here...Usually pigs are easy to find around here.

Keep knocking them out

Man I am going to have to move out of PA. There is nothing here to really shoot at as far as varmints go. Coyote are scarce in my area and the deer heard is so thin, I think they need to prohibit deer hunting for a couple of years so the deer can repopulate. Ground hogs are around, but need to know where to look. All you guys in the midwest are having all the fun.

Well I guess there are tons of crows and pidgeons to shoot. :D

We have plenty of crows. They are eating my corn as fast as it hits the ground. I guess they may need some thinning too. Good luck with the ground hogs!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts