.308 or .270??

My personal experience was not good with a factory Weatherby MKV Accumark... Personally, I'd recommend a steer-clear, unless you plan on rebarreling, bedding, and replacing the trigger immediately.

My rifle would have required all 3 just to shoot at least a 1 MOA group after the barrel started going bad around 75 rounds down the bore... It was just pure garbage. The whole rifle was only worth about $500 (the action and the stock) once all was said and done. Looking back, I should have saved a lot of money and just bought a Rem 700 LSS in .257 Wby instead.

Just my experience... Take it for what it's worth to you.

My personal experience was not good with a factory Weatherby MKV Accumark... Personally, I'd recommend a steer-clear, unless you plan on rebarreling, bedding, and replacing the trigger immediately.

My rifle would have required all 3 just to shoot at least a 1 MOA group after the barrel started going bad around 75 rounds down the bore... It was just pure garbage. The whole rifle was only worth about $500 (the action and the stock) once all was said and done. Looking back, I should have saved a lot of money and just bought a Rem 700 LSS in .257 Wby instead.

Just my experience... Take it for what it's worth to you.

Thanks for the feedback brother.

Kinda sounds like a Remington.. :) Sorry, couldn't help myself, I know you are a big Remington guy. I'm still working on one of mine (AAC-SD). Trigger is arriving tomorrow. Opened up the crap Hogue stock to get to run off bi-pod better, but still working up loads, so we'll see how it goes before needing replacement. Sad thing is I actually like the stock outside of the flex.

The Weatherby come with a 1 MOA guarantee, so if it doesn't shoot, it'd go back. I've heard nothing (till now) but good things. I'm going with a Vanguard model also, not the MK V.

I think with anything these days, it's a roll of the dice unless you get over the 2K mark or a custom build.

Thanks for the feedback brother.

Kinda sounds like a Remington.. :) Sorry, couldn't help myself, I know you are a big Remington guy. I'm still working on one of mine (AAC-SD). Trigger is arriving tomorrow. Opened up the crap Hogue stock to get to run off bi-pod better, but still working up loads, so we'll see how it goes before needing replacement. Sad thing is I actually like the stock outside of the flex.

The Weatherby come with a 1 MOA guarantee, so if it doesn't shoot, it'd go back. I've heard nothing (till now) but good things. I'm going with a Vanguard model also, not the MK V.

I think with anything these days, it's a roll of the dice unless you get over the 2K mark or a custom build.
Hogue makes nice stocks for rimfires and nice grips for revolvers... Anything else, I try to buy a real stock. Personally I prefer HS Precision and Manners. However, B&C Medalist stocks are also good stocks. For the money, I think it's hard to beat the new Stocky's LR Composite stocks.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ck-remington-700-new-spider-web-finishes.html

Several folks I've read have them, and they really like them, especially once they got the action bedded and barrel floated.

As for Weatherby's, looking back I would have been better off with a Sub-MOA model Vanguard than a MK-V Accumark... And could have saved a TON of money, time, components, and Advil (headaches). Out of the box new, my Accumark shot just under 1.5 MOA (which is all Weatherby guaranteed back then). Pretty sad that rifle with that pricetag carried a 50% larger MOA guarantee than a rifle that cost 1/3 of it...

Hogue makes nice stocks for rimfires and nice grips for revolvers... Anything else, I try to buy a real stock. Personally I prefer HS Precision and Manners. However, B&C Medalist stocks are also good stocks. For the money, I think it's hard to beat the new Stocky's LR Composite stocks.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...ck-remington-700-new-spider-web-finishes.html

Several folks I've read have them, and they really like them, especially once they got the action bedded and barrel floated.

As for Weatherby's, looking back I would have been better off with a Sub-MOA model Vanguard than a MK-V Accumark... And could have saved a TON of money, time, components, and Advil (headaches). Out of the box new, my Accumark shot just under 1.5 MOA (which is all Weatherby guaranteed back then). Pretty sad that rifle with that pricetag carried a 50% larger MOA guarantee than a rifle that cost 1/3 of it...

I've always done McMillan stocks, then tried a few Manners. Both great makers/stocks. I was thinking of keeping the AAC a budget rifle, but we'll see. If the right stock comes around I may just dump over the extra $200 to an MCS-T. I'm sure the B&C M40 would be fine, but something about the looks at the back just doesn't do it for me, just looks disproportionate .. nit-picky I guess.

Yeah, that sucks they used to have the 1.5 MOA guarantee. And you can't beat the Vanguard series for having just about everything the MK V have expect the higher price.

Most folks buy firearms and aftermarket them anyways, trigger, stock, maybe a barrel later on, so finding the caliber you like is always a plus.

Pops told me to get the quality action as the rest of it can be improved over time.

If we want to improve it, do it correctly to save time and money as this rifle we build becomes ours, and ours only.

Pal Don throwing out ideas only as others have awesome ideas that one can consider in their own build.

Hawk I own a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 270 win and I would not think about parting with it. Accuracy with 130's and 150's has been stellar. Never been difficult to load for. Check out the CDL SF I see them on GB all the time for 900 or less. A little lighter than the Accumark the stock on the CDL SF is not much I replaced mine with a Mcmillan

They both look like good choices to me. Mudds experience with a 257wby has been well documented.

As a hunter first I also like an accurate firearm and the 270 is one firearm I will always have room for in the safe.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.