.308 or .270??

hawk45

Hi all. Looking to add a new rifle to the stable, finally. It will be a deer gun under 400 yds. I was going to go with another .308, but was thinking maybe give the .270 a shot on this one.

I already reload for my other .308s, so that is a cost savings. If I go .270 I'd have to get the reloading gear to go with it. Not a huge cost, but one never the less.
One of the big reasons I was thinking .270 is it's wide availability of production rounds in a pinch, that isn't a NATO round. Also I only have one long action (.300 WM), and I fear it's lonely. My .308's and WM cover my .30 cal basis (no need for 30/06), and while a .280 would be my first choice, the rifle I'm looking to procure only comes in .270. Maybe down the road I can swap out the barrel for a .280, but I think the .270 will do everything for my needs at this time. The ballistics are pretty close on the .308 and .270 with standard loads. The .308 does offer more versatility with bullet options (light -> heavy) due to the barrel twists. Short actions are nice too.. but variety is the spice of life. A WSM would be interesting, but finding factory ammo in a pinch isn't optimal. With the political climate being what it is, I like the option of availability more and more.

What say you on my quandary?

Getting ready to build a .270 on a 24 inch Proof Research. Waiting on a few more parts to come in. Good luck on whatever direction you go.

Rusty

I never seen a need for a 270, owning a couple 30/06 and 7 mag but a few of my friends hunt with 270s and they wouldn't own nothing else. the deer they pile up year after year is a good testament to what their 270s can do. Most of them prefer 130 gr. bollits.

I say you should get whatever you want with your hard earned money. I hunt in Missouri and shots are usually 200 yds or less. I will tell you I have had more DRT deer with the .270 than with the .308. The higher velocity .270 and the shock as such, puts em down hard. They usually take a few steps even with well placed shots when hit with the .308. At least that has been my experience.

Hi all. Looking to add a new rifle to the stable, finally. It will be a deer gun under 400 yds. I was going to go with another .308, but was thinking maybe give the .270 a shot on this one.

I already reload for my other .308s, so that is a cost savings. If I go .270 I'd have to get the reloading gear to go with it. Not a huge cost, but one never the less.
One of the big reasons I was thinking .270 is it's wide availability of production rounds in a pinch, that isn't a NATO round. Also I only have one long action (.300 WM), and I fear it's lonely. My .308's and WM cover my .30 cal basis (no need for 30/06), and while a .280 would be my first choice, the rifle I'm looking to procure only comes in .270. Maybe down the road I can swap out the barrel for a .280, but I think the .270 will do everything for my needs at this time. The ballistics are pretty close on the .308 and .270 with standard loads. The .308 does offer more versatility with bullet options (light -> heavy) due to the barrel twists. Short actions are nice too.. but variety is the spice of life. A WSM would be interesting, but finding factory ammo in a pinch isn't optimal. With the political climate being what it is, I like the option of availability more and more.

What say you on my quandary?

Big .308 Win fan... I won't ever be without one in the safe. That being said, I see you have a few of them. You should look into the 7mm-08 and .260 Remington. Both would be perfect sub-400 yard deer rifle, and are capable of much farther distances than that.

If you reload, .260 Rem or .260 AI would be perfect for your needs. But factory ammo is not as prevalent as it was 5-10 years ago.

The 7mm-08 has a big cult-following (like most 7mm cartridges do) and there are a lot of different factory ammo options available, and ammo is fairly easy to find just about everywhere. If you reload, a Berger 168 VLD would be your huckleberry for deer hunting at those distances.

For the hunting and ammo availability requirements you describe the 270 is an excellent choice. I shot s Model 70 in 270 for several years. Loved it!!! Just curious what rifle you are looking to get.

Jack O'Connor's favorite caliber

Probably a little old for.most on this forum but he was the man

45, I've had a .270Wby Mag for a year now and just found a load it likes shooting just under MOA or better. I bought a 33 year old .270Win. last week dirt cheap and with crappy brass and cheap bullets it shoots a .427 group. I bought new brass, premium bullets and will load them tomorrow. I'm keeping this .270Win and will get a nice scope for it. There was a huge selection of components at the Sportsmans today, so you shouldn't have a problem finding them. Dies are cheap on the internet and components very reasonable, hurry and get one before they're all gone.
Good luck

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a few 308's so why not add another cartridge/rifle to your collection?
H4831 & Sierra 130 GameKings have put a lot meat in my freezer. You always need another gun.
Thanks, Kirk

I have both a 308 and a 270Win and if I had to cull the herd I would keep the 270Win, and have no regrets or second guesses. I used to believe that I didn't need a 270 because I had 30/06Sprfld rifles. On a lark I bought a 270Win just to see how the other half lived, and now I no longer own an 06. Not saying anything is wrong with the 06 but I just like the slightly flatter trajectory of the 270, and there is just something sexy about it.

I have a .270 Winchester and I am a fan of the cartridge, but there are better out there. If I had to pick between the .308 or .270 for long range hunting, I would take the .270 because I like the cartridge. In reality, the two rounds are both very similar and both can be very capable. A .308 loaded with a 168gr at 2650-2700fps is very similar to the .270 with a 140gr SST at 3000-3050fps. The .270 will be flatter shooting than the .308 and have a little more energy, but it's not a huge difference. Both of those loads will put down deer out 400 yards and beyond. If you already have .308 dies, components, and experience with that round than that is what I would get.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.