308 nate

DONTSTROKEME

Nate,
Can you hollow out a bolt knob on a Rem 700? I was thinking somthing like mike_l bolt...I can't copy and paste, my mouse is funky... but he is in the 1st page of the picture thread in equipment reviews.

I am thinking about the spiral fluting and this hollowing, and I can't get ahold of mike_l.

Thanks in advance

Joe Oakes

most barrel makers agree that a barrel shoots in perspective to its weight. the heavier the barrel, the better it will shoot. if you remove weight, you remove accuracy. look at removing weight in other areas, such as the stock. you could have the barrel channel and buttstock hollowed out by a stockmaker or good riflesmith for much cheaper than machining on your barrel.

I am sorry I was refering to the bolt only, you might search on here about "fluting affects" and see what a few of the gunsmith's think, some feel that it is better because of the surface area increase.

Joe Oakes

Joe,
Here are a couple bolts I have skeletalized handles on. I took a picture of one this morning that a customer picked up, but I am camera illiterate and somehow the pictures didn't make it onto the camera, so enjoy these and let me know if I can help you.

I for one prefer to not skeletalize the handle by removing the checkering as I don't like the feel of the handle, but I can skeletalize however you would prefer.

as far as accuracy loss from fluting or skeletalizing bolt, I feel it is a myth. For one, what is going to do more damage a heavy pendilum swinging or a light one swinging.
also if there is accuracy loss from fluting or skeletizing why do 90% of custom actions have it? I think they would have figured something out if it were an issue.

If you want it done to loose weight I will tell you know that weight loss is very little, if you need to loose a little weight just carry two shells in the maagazine instead of three, you will loose more weight doing this.

I sell this strictly on a "looks cool" basis, but fluting can help on close tollerance bolt to receiver fit and will allow dust and dirt a place to go versus sticking between bolt body and raceway.

FWIW,
308nate

sbh5.jpg

sbh4.jpg

sbh3.jpg

sbh1.jpg

sbh2.jpg

jjbolt.jpg

I really like the 4th picture with the hole in the knob....I don't need the cuts in the lug but how much would the hole in the knob and the fluteing cost me?

Can I just ship the bolt?

Joe Oakes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.