308 ftr

snowpro440

:mad:just came back from the range with 308 ftr and this thing really sucks , i never spent so much money for the biggest piece of junk. It will only shoot 1" to 2" groups at a 100 yards. I tried most all imr powders and some rl-22. Seating differences of on the lands to .035 off - still, same results. Tried shimming between stock and barrel, still no difference in the group, just changes the point of impact. Question - do these things need glass bedded to shoot a group? Also, shooting 155 palma's and 168 smk's. Any help would be appreciated. Called savage - they politely told me no help on handloads. So I shot factory loads - same thing.:confused:

Try some varget with 168 bergers if it will not shoot that it is broke. How did you get enough RL22 in the case with 155s and 168s? I bet you had some really sooty case necks. H4350 is about as slow of a powder that I use in 308 and that is with heavy bullets.

I have heard some complaints with these rifles, but have seen some that shoot very very well. You may have got a lemon, all manufacturers make them. Have you checked your scope and mounts? How do you usually shoot?

I only ever got to play with one of these and it shot great consistantly in the 1/2" range with several handloads.

Eddybo is right , I've never seen a 308 that woulden't shoot at least reasonably well with a 168gr bullet over 45grs of Varget , thats a mid range load and leave plenty of room to play with powder charge and seating depth.
If it diden't shoot factory match ammo under an inch that their is likely a problem , either the action is moving in the stock due to no bedded or improperly tight action screws or somthing as easy as a little ding on the crown , heck the crown may not be cut strait.

As for the powders , N-140 , N-540 and N-550 all from Vihta Vuori are all in the range your looking for with the 155-175gr pills. Varget and H-4895 are also very good powders to use the the 308

I have only had one customer bring back a savage complaining that it would not shoot, and we sent that one back to savage and recieved it back maybe a month later and it shot outstanding. i have always been more than happy with savages customer service.

like eddy said try some varget and the 168smk and if it doesnt shoot then send it back to savage and they will make it right.

have a good un
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.