.308 Lapua brass in Savage 12?

Guana

I picked up the Cabelas Savage 12 in 308 and was wondering if the Lapua brass is worth using in a factory rifle like this one? Read some posts and everyone says Lapua brass is the cats meow but also saw a few that said it would be better in custom chambered barrels.

Thanks

Lapua is the "gold standard" in rifle brass. Typically it will give many more reloads than some of the other brands, especially Hornady. That can make brass cost per reload as good or better than the cheaper brand. You also have less prep work to get consistent case capacity.

Lapua is the "gold standard" in rifle brass. Typically it will give many more reloads than some of the other brands, especially Hornady. That can make brass cost per reload as good or better than the cheaper brand. You also have less prep work to get consistent case capacity.

Yep

Sounds good guys. I will get some to try out. Have only been reloading for a few years and haven't used Lapua before, would be nice to see how much better it is than others.

Sounds good guys. I will get some to try out. Have only been reloading for a few years and haven't used Lapua before, would be nice to see how much better it is than others.

Good call- and Lapua .308 Winchester brass just happens to be on sale at Midway right now. I really have been pleased with Lapua. That said, I just bought some ADG brass for .308 and .300 win mag, and look forward to giving them a try- they seem like a great group of folks and at first inspection their product looks solid. They certainly were a pleasure to speak with when I placed my order. Time will tell on how the brass performs, but I'm very optimistic!

They were probably talking about not thinking it was worth spending the money on high-quality expensive brass for factory chambered barrels... If so, that's a very narrow and snobby point of view. But whatever. They're entitled to their opinion. My personal opinion, no matter how cheap or expensive your rifle is, you might as well feed it the best stuff you can. Better components means more consistency, which means more accuracy. So why shoot the cheap stuff just because your rifle wasn't a $5,500 custom built by some big-name gunsmith. Not everybody can afford a gun like that...Including me.

In short...Yes, even if you have a factory rifle, the Lapua brass is the top of the totem pole, and if you want to shoot Lapua brass, go for it. I've been shooting it for many years in a factory chambered .308 rifle, and have absolutely ZERO complaints.

Like was mentioned by jpfrog, it's on sale at Midway right now. If I didn't have a couple decades supply of it already, I'd order some more while it's on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/187523/lapua-reloading-brass-308-winchester-box-of-100

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.