308 for long range deer

okie man

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a cz550 Varmit in 308. Thinking of deer and long range target shooting. What kind of range do I get on deer size game?

Lots of variables here but in my opinion it would be a 700-800 yard deer rifle. Targets as far as you want to give it a go.

Steve

With the loads my rifle likes, 150g NBT going 2750fps, I limit myself to around 450. I hunt near a river with extremely thick stuff around it. If my bullet doesn't expand, I lose my deer.

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a cz550 Varmit in 308. Thinking of deer and long range target shooting. What kind of range do I get on deer size game?

That depends. What's the 'day in day out' accuracy of that CZ? How good of a shot are you? The flap on the end of the box of .22LR says "DANGER, Range 1 Mile".

Take a look into one of these...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...ction+Centerfire/REM+700+SS+308+24+5R+MILSPEC

Had mine since 2010, and it shoots sub-1/4 MOA with handloads. I do recommend a trigger swap, since Remington had to switch to the garbage lawyer-proof X-Mark Pro triggers. I recommend a Timney or Jewell.

That depends. What's the 'day in day out' accuracy of that CZ? How good of a shot are you? The flap on the end of the box of .22LR says "DANGER, Range 1 Mile".
Both my cz 527 223's are 1/2 moa all day long! I know what my abilities are, just wondering what the cartridge is capable of!

Both my cz 527 223's are 1/2 moa all day long! I know what my abilities are, just wondering what the cartridge is capable of!

I don't believe he was being insulting or questioning your skills. He was simply stating that depending on your shooting skills and your rifle's capabilities will determine your effectiveness for long range shooting. It is not a skill you master overnight, and since we do not know you, we don't automatically know your abilities or your rifles' accuracy.

Like Steve said, lots of variables...And I would also agree with his assessment of 750-800 yards effective range depending on your rifle, ammo, and bullet selection, and of course, your shooting abilities.

I personally would choose to go with a 7mm-08, 260 rem or 6.5 Creedmoor if I was expecting longrange shots to be the norm. Nothing wrong with a 308 win but those will have better longrange capability.

For hunting, if you are using a high BC bullet similar to a Berger 168 gr VLD, 550 yards.

Using a bullet comparable to a 165 gr Nosler partition, 450 yards.

I personally would choose to go with a 7mm-08, 260 rem or 6.5 Creedmoor if I was expecting longrange shots to be the norm. Nothing wrong with a 308 win but those will have better longrange capability.

I couldn't agree more. There are many many other options out there that will do it better than a 308, and most of those options start with a 6.5

Those are not legal calibers in indiana!

For hunting, if you are using a high BC bullet similar to a Berger 168 gr VLD, 550 yards.

Using a bullet comparable to a 165 gr Nosler partition, 450 yards.

These numbers are more real world than what I said originally. If I were hunting with a 308 this would be pretty close to my hunting distance. Just ran the numbers on the one we just did load work up on and it shows 1800fps out to 500y with 152g HH.

Steve

When I was using a 308 I kept my shots under 600 yards and used the faster expanding Hornady 165gr SST's and Nosler 165 gr Ballistic Tips. They would deliver sufficient expansion and energy at that max for deer sized game at my velocity of 2800FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts