308 bullet choise

gary olson

right now using 165 gr. imr 4895 , looken to try 150gr. iam shooting 100 - 300 yds, whats been your choise for all around bullet. & load.

All around is a loaded question. Are you killing paper or game? Paper dies easily but poorly hit animals do not. I would load to the largest of your game.

If you chase elk, I'd load no smaller than 180gr.

Pssssst... midway is having an excellent sale on nosler bullets&brass and a few others. I saw some 308 accubonds and brass.

If they are bama deer I'd go w/ a light bullet to flatten trajectory and something that will expand or fragment fast to avoid pencilling. The 155 amax mentioned above just might be the ticket.

lighter and faster is flatter until you get to longer range like 600. however to 300 yards there is very little difference between the 155 scenar, 155 berger , 150 ballistic silver tip ;.... and a 167 scenar, 168 berg and a 168 ballistic silver tip

100-300 yard deer:
no need for "premium" high priced bullets. standard cup and core bullets have been dropping large game for decades.
150-165gr:
Speer: hot core or btsp
Sierra: pro hunter, gameking
Hornady: interlock
Remington corelok
Of those I think the Speer Hotcore & Sierra pro hunter is consistently the most accurate, although the ones you think will not be accurate sometimes surprise you. Like the remington core lokts have been very accurate in every 308 Ive loaded them in.

Ive found flat based bullets to be the most accurate and I always prefer them if under 300 yards..once you go longer range then the high BC bullets take over

If you want to have cool looking plastic tipped bullets, then spend a lot more for no gain in accuracy or deer killing abilities...unless you are hunting long distances

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts