700 Remington 308 WIN. BULLET WEIGHT

swiper

Going to try this again. Whats the best bullet weight for 308 Win. 1 in 12 twist. I had one about 15 years ago in 700 remington BDL heavy varmint. never did get that thing to shoot. going to try another gun) thanks SWIPER

Depending upon the altitude where you will be shooting, you can stabilize heavier bullets with a 12 twist, but Mudrunner is correct that the 185's are about ideal for a .308 (though I would recommend going with the Berger 185 Juggernaut). The Sierra 175 Tipped Matchking is also worth a good look. For the kind of long range shooting I do with my .308, though, I can't afford to shoot many Bergers. For now, I shoot the Sierra 155 Palma (2156) bullets out to 1000 yards and just live with the extra wind drift.

I have a Remington 700 VS in .308. It has been wonderfully accurate from the day I took it out of the factory box. It is a solid 600 yard rifle, but leaves a lot to be desired beyond that. The .308 really doesn't have adequate case capacity for long range work and needs some help to get there. A 30 inch barrel with a 10 twist (perhaps even a 9 twist) is a good place to start.

Because of the ease of re-barreling, Savage type rifles definitely have an advantage. If you have your heart set on a Remington 700, you would be wise to shop carefully for a used rifle and have a good barrel put on it, with the proper length and twist.

Going to try this again. Whats the best bullet weight for 308 Win. 1 in 12 twist. I had one about 15 years ago in 700 remington BDL heavy varmint. never did get that thing to shoot. going to try another gun) thanks SWIPER

For Berger bullets, here's there recommended bullets per your barrel's twist rate >>> All Bullets | Berger Bullets

swiper,

First and foremost, it is the length of the bullet which determines the twist necessary to stabilize that bullet, not the weight. However, since many companies still don't list a bullet's length on the box, many shooters ignore this bit of information. The information is usually available online through many of the bullet lists published by shooters to help others with this calculation.

Bullets less than 1.4" in length will stabilize at sea level as long as you find a node near the upper end of the velocity range, approximately 2550 fps.

In your situation, the 185 grain bullets will work if you pay attention the altitude and the velocity of the cartridge when loaded with this bullet.

I can shoot the 210 grain Bergers but I have a 1:11.25" twist rate and a 26" barrel pushing that bullet at the top end. But I can do a little bit better by shooting the 185 JUG instead.

Regards.

Most 200 grain bullets of the jacketed lead variety will stabilize in a 12 twist but are anything but ideal. With that, there isn't a reason to go that heavy anymore with the introduction of high BC offerings in the 175-185 weight range. Bergers new 180 elite is about as good as it gets along with the 178 ELDX. The 178s BC is legit and works extremely well in a 12x barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.