308 barrel replacement options

SZairborne

Gentlemen,
I need some help with a replacement barrel for my rem 700. The information age is overwhelming when it comes to doing research now of days. I need some advise from you guys for this type of help. Im unsure which brand, length, contour etc. I would like a 22-26 inch barrel, that i can target shoot at some long distances (700 plus) and still hunt. One that is not to heavy and one that will not overheat easily. Ill be shooting from 140 gr thru 180 gr bullets. It will be free floated. Then there is fluting and other options that you could add. I know this is kind of a loaded question but any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Shayne
gun)

For 308's I am very partial to the 26" sendero contour barrels fluted. They are a good balance between weight, ridgidity, speed and consistency. Any of the top manufacturers will work well. Lilja is great but so is Hart and many others. I like the Hart because they shoot as well as anything else I have used and they deliver very quickly. If you know for sure that the 180 is the max bullet weight you will use, the 12 twist will work very well. Even up to the 190's. The standard is that 12x barrels will handle the 200 grain variety but I feel that 11x is a bit better for the 200-210's. You may concider the 11x. Many guys right now are having good success with the 208 AMAX in the 308. The 26" 11x will complment those loads very nicely. The 11x is also very suitable for 168 - 190's. I have had good success with the 11x and the 150-155's but have had MUCH better success with the 150-155 using 12x.

Michael,
Thanks for the info im going to look into that. How much weight will a 26" barrel add? Also what thickness is this a medium to heavy for that twist?

Thanks
Shayne

I just got a 11 twist Broughton in a 5.5 contour (med weight varmint-sporter and should be about 4.5lbs at 26")...with action and scope should be around 9lbs...light enough to get where I need to be but heavier than the sporter barrels that come factory on the Howa...That's the way I've gone.

Matt

I like and use BERGARRA bbls, 26" SS,1-10 twist, varmint contour, pre threaded and chambered for "drop in" fit in remington 700 so you can do it yourself. I just fired a .280, 10 shot group (100 yds) with a 22-250 I completed a little bit ago usig the BERGARRA bbls, and a friend just finished a .308 that will shoot "bug holes"

Thanks for the quick and good replies guys. This is the type of info that you cant get just looking at websites and barrel specs.

Shayne

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.