barrel options

first off let me thank you all for the info an the advice you have been very helpful although my plans are not fully planted yet .. i have to admit i've asked a few of these questions elsewhere but did not get any helpful responses actually none..
as eddbo asked why i turned down the 25-284 actually not its just the hummer thing was just my idea as a first time project an i'm still leaning on it..
bill the 3200+ is/was just a quest that i was hoping for with this project .. i'm starting to see its not going to happen? an may not be all that important.. i don't think i'll be in world class competition at my stage in life but would hope to get into some local stuff for the fun of it... more so a sweet varmint class gun an possible to take deer with in a reasonable range limit
now that jj has explained how to on a barrel order i feel a little confident in what i will do.. most probable i'll go with the lawton, in at least a 28" length, as i thouhgt today about it .. if it doesn't turn out to my liking i could rechamber the barrel to another case size/same cal.... not that i have money to blow, but at least the barrel wouldn't be a total waste..
i really do appreciate the imput ;)

Action

Hi What action are you looking at?

Find a gunsmith with a reamer. This is important as the extra cost off the reamer makes the costs excessive. Now for does Hornady sells custom dies to your specifications. They will need the reamer print.

If ypu go on the 308 based case max the capacity out ypu need at least .006" body taper and any shoulder angle up to 60 degree's.

You can do some things to increase capacity Norma cases and RWS cases have a larger capacity.
Good Luck you can use any 308 based action and for your barrel can be any twist from 7.5 up to 76 twist in 1/4" increments of your choice like a 8.75 twist or 9 twist. Make sure it will stabalize ypure heaviest projectiles you're going to use.

Make the loaded round 2.8" to take advantage of any detachable mag systems if you are looking for an internal magazine you can go to a 3" loaded length with a Wyats extended mag bog this will give you more case capacity. If you use Norma 308 cases and Max out the capacity in a 28" barrel and a 3" OAL you should achieve 3100fps with H1000.

Good Luck

Cheers Bill
Australia

i may have located a reamer already.. [using a remington 700 short action in 243/308 bolt face, it will arive this week], drawing of the reamer shows the wall of the case is blown out from .4716 to shoulder.461, with a 45* shoulder, .2905 dia. neck an .260 long, oal case length .2.045 seeems it was printed by pacific tool
.. [ i knew the neck would be short .260]

on the wyats box .. where can one locate such an item.. i've had know luck looking it up ? i certainly would want to have it while at the smitty,,.. i may not need it done up front, but why wait or have to send it back, the artical also show an oal loaded case at 2.830,
i don't think i would use a detachable mag. anyway.. [ it only would need one shoot... Lol's]

the 120gr bullet may get away with a one in ten tw, but if i decide later on some other factor i rather have 1-8.5 at the least a 9 [minuim 28"].. which leads to another question .. what kind of a crown or button would be best to use.. i've read resest an 11* degree, but not actually understanding the terms.. since the artical says it would have so little recoil, less then a 243 stated.. i don't think it would need to be magna ported or any attachment on the barrel...

Last edited:
chamber

Hi looks like things are coming togethor for you. Briel is full of it anheavier projectile in a larger case with more propelant will always give more recoil. Now that said it will be acceptable and should be fine.

As for the mag box search Wyats or contact Kirby or Shawn on the site they usually have them in stock.

For the barrel Lawton will make you a 8 twist or 8.25 or 8.5 or 8.75 or 9 twist if you get the picture order thd twist you want.

Cheers Bill
Australia

i guess that covers most of it... now i'll register all the info an convince myself to go ahead.. other then the crown, i imagine engraving the name an calibre can't be done till the chamber an head spacing is completed

as for the fps thing... i read his artical over 3 times now what breil used for a barrel was a lite weight 257 roberts 1-10.. say he had to use several reamers to get it right.. by the time he was done he ended up with a 23" barrel.. now one of his loads for the 120gr nosler partition was just over 3000fps < 'so he says' ...i'm thinking 3100 maybe possible @28"HB, but not so important

guess i'll come back with a progress report when i get it started thanks for all the help..............

Thanks Storm"""' i'll check it out

progress ... actions here trigger in place, 30mm scope mounts an rings i have.... working on a stock also...got a 25 neck sizer die comm'n so..

i got some answers back from barrel companys i e-mailed .. now it time talk on the phone

W bill/// candy sent me Barneys L L.. i may talk w/ him morrow :)

brl twist

Hi make sure you get a twist thatvwill stabalize all weights off projectiles you want to use and as you want to use 120gr VLD projectiles look at around 8.5 twist mabe 8 twist because it will allow you to use the heavy wildcat bullets aswell.

As you are looking at heavy bullets the fast twist won't hurt.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts