308, 7RM or 300RUM best for 1000 big game?

Well I have two at the moment one is just a bone stock sps stainless thats been broke that I run 180gr pills out of it sending them at 3400 fps. I have some where between 475-500 rds down the tube and it shoots very well 1/2 - 3/4 MOA at 100 yards.

My custom has 26" stainless Sendero contour barrel with a aps brake on a Remington 700 action. It has 275-300 round down the tube and It'll shoot one hole 3 shot groups all day with 230gr Bergers running just over 3000fps.

Sounds like you aren't into the fast rounds so your best bet is to just get a 300wm. If you take care of the barrel a 300rum or 7mm STW will shoot accurately for a very long time!!

You ever thought about a 340 wby mag??

AZ, right now I am leaning towards the 300 WM over the 300 RUM. It looks like the 300 WM is just as capable and has a greatly increased barrel life over the RUM.

What do you think?

Mag Guy what did you find your barrel accuracy life to be with your RUM?

After owning a couple 300rums and 30-378 I wouldn't give you ten cents for a truck load of them.

With the right bullets, the 300 win mag is all you need and is MUCH easier on barrels. At elk altitudes the 210 ALR can get you to or over 1500'pounds of energy at a grand. Plenty. The 300wm is not my favorite caliber but if all I did was hunt elk at long range, it would be my rifle of choice. I have a Sendero 300wm in a McMillan stock. It is a sweet shooter. Very accurate and easy to clean.

I subscribe to the idea of bigger is better. That being said use the largest caliber that you can shoot accurately, consistently and comfortably. My ideas on barrel life is like that of ammunition, replaceable.
I currently shoot a 300wm weighing 10lbs+ breaked. It shoots well, isn't too heavy and I can run ammo through it all day without feeling a thing.

My views on Barrel life is kind of like a set of tires on a pick up eventually you're going to have to replace them. Some tires will last longer than others but it seems the ones that don't last as long get you around better.

There wear items, and just another part of our expensive hobby. gun)

When the 300 rum came out Remington loaded it in 3 different power levels, my understanding is that at lower power levels the barrel lasts longer? Is this true, it's just what I read? Unless of course it was run at max all the time. I don't think the average hunter is going to need RUM max power all that often. Most people have several rifles and practice with something cheaper and easier on the budget and shoulder. It seems foolish to have only 1 rifle anyway. You can easily practice long range with a 260, then pull the 300 rum out when your shooting proficiency improves. That's what I'd do if I was limited to 2 rifles. If 1, then 300wm or 300rum'l do.

just my opinion, I'm no expert at this.

Ed good to hear from you.

Looking at the Remington website your are 100% correct my friend. You have the option between 180gr or 150gr pills for level III.. Power level II: you only have the option of 180gr pills. And power level I: is only 150gr pills.

When the 300 rum came out Remington loaded it in 3 different power levels, my understanding is that at lower power levels the barrel lasts longer? Is this true, it's just what I read? Unless of course it was run at max all the time. I don't think the average hunter is going to need RUM max power all that often. Most people have several rifles and practice with something cheaper and easier on the budget and shoulder. It seems foolish to have only 1 rifle anyway. You can easily practice long range with a 260, then pull the 300 rum out when your shooting proficiency improves. That's what I'd do if I was limited to 2 rifles. If 1, then 300wm or 300rum'l do.

just my opinion, I'm no expert at this.

And the 300RUM can handle the bigger pills in handloading as you know. It's real a lot more versatile than people give it credit for. If you really want to step up, then the action is already for the 338 edge, there's your lapua with the next barrel change. The 300 wm can't really go up, that is an advantage of the rum boltface. Nothing wrong with the 300rum as a long range elk gun, kinda was built for it. I like the 300wm too, heck what don't i like?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts