308, 7RM or 300RUM best for 1000 big game?

Wolfgheist

Looking some input on best caliber for 1000 yards that could still drop an elk. Starting with a Remington 700 and little by little I am planning on upgrading it to the goal mentioned above. .308, 7RM or 300UM?

Out of the three you listed I would definitely go with the 300 rum, My long range elk rifle is a Remington 700 in 7mm rum.

Mike in your opinion is 7mm RUM > 300 RUM? Been having a lot of folks telling me to get a 338 LM, but reading these boards it looks like a lot of folks have made excellent 308/7mm/300 1000 yard hunting rifles with proper handloads. Where does the 300 WM fall in this group in your opinion?

I do not want to spend money for overkill, I want to invest in what is going to get the job done without wasting money. :)

It's all a matter of opinion. Some folks think you have to have a .338 Lapua to kill Elk at long range, some think .300 WinMag is the best caliber every invented. Everyone has their favorites...But the fact still remains that there were guys making 900+ yard kill-shots 40-50 years ago with a 7mm RemMag elk hunting.

The 7mm STW is also a very solid competitor for that category, as it was designed for long range medium-to-large game hunting. Not to mention with today's technology for bullets there are 180-190gr bullets available for the 7mm's that have higher BC's than alot of the stuff out there available. Also the STW is better on barrel life than the 7RUM. Not by much, but 500-750 rounds. Might not sound alot, but when you measure in 1,000-1,500 vs 1,500-2,250 shots, it adds up.

I have been thinking about getting a 7RUM that my local store has for really cheap, just so I can rebarrel it to another 7mm STW. :D

These are simply my opinions...Everyone has a different one.

Mud, I take it 7mm STM is your weapon of choice? Have you had successful long range hunts with it?

It is not my main club, I have a few other options in the bag...But, as far as long range hunting, yes it is my 1st choice. I have had it for 11 years, and taken numerous deer at long range. Sorry, but we don't have any elk or caribou or moose down here, so I can't verify from personal experience on how it would do on elk @ 1000 yards, but I am pretty sure with a heavy pill like a 180 VLD or 190 Matrix you should be fine. I am going off of the many articles I've read over the years, and can believe them because of the STW's awsome ballistics and all these years of shooting it, I am still being amazed every time I turn around.

The .300 RUM is a good option, the 7RUM is also a good option. The .338 Lapua, of course is the top dog and will certaiy get fhe job done. I was just saying that my opinion is that the big 7's will also get the job done efficiently and humanely, even though they aren't the newest biggest baddest out there they are still a very viable option.

The .300 WM is a good caliber. I reload for a buddy who has one. The .300 Wby Mag actually holds more powder and produces higher velocities, so you might want to look into one of those, too.

Rem 700 is the way to go, IMO. All of my centerfire rifles I actually take into the woods and hunt with (I have some ofher brands and don't use them for collector's reasons), are all Remington 700 actions, and 1 Weatherby Mark-V Accumark .257 Wby Mag. And as much as I love my 700's...the Accumark's are a force to be reckoned with...I think you'll be good if you go with either one of them.

Wolf- you do not say where are . where you are hunting. a 300 wm sendero is a good one. there are others.

I've had amazing success with the 300 rum with LRH. I was using the 190 gr Berger for many years with outstanding performance. This year I bumped it up to Berger 230 gr pills and it is looking very promising at 1000 yards

Definitely a +1 on the 300 rum

I also shoot a 338 lapua mag. Last year i shot a mulie doe at 1120 yards. I touched off the first round and it was high. Realized I had forgot to account for my 17* slope. Dialed down my 3/4 moa and waited for my next shot. (She only ran 20 yards and continued to feed.) When I touched off she decided to make another step and I ended up hitting her in the gut region. She dropped like a ton of bricks. Upon arrival to the doe entry was the size of a quarter and exit was approx. 3" round. Everything inside looked like it had been through a blender and dropped back inside the chest cavity. Also a very impressive round.

I wouldn't even attempt an elk with my 308 a 1k. But both the 7mm and the 300wm with the right bullet are very capable.

Just a point of information. If you purchase a 300 win mag Rem 700 with thoughts of eventually making it any of the RUMs you will have an issue. The RUM case diameter is too large to fit past the feed rails of non RUM model 700s. Sure it can be solved with some machining. IMO it would be better to guy a RUM sized action and go from there.

I vote for the 300 RUM for LR over the other two chamberings you asked about in first post.

AZ, right now I am leaning towards the 300 WM over the 300 RUM. It looks like the 300 WM is just as capable and has a greatly increased barrel life over the RUM.

What do you think?

Mag Guy what did you find your barrel accuracy life to be with your RUM?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.