2 Rifles for Big Game.

Here's what I'm selling to consolidate:

Remington Model 700 BDL DM "Embellished Receiver". $525 - 30-06. SS/Syn. Like new.

Remington Model 700 VSSF. $675 - 22-250 Rem. Like new. Pre J-lock.

Ruger M77 MKII. $425 - 280 Rem. SS/Syn. Like new.

Colt CAR-15. $975 - Like new condition. 24" SS barrel with aluminum free-floated handguard. Like new.

Colt AR-15 $850 - 20" HBAR flat-top. Like new.

I have bases, rings and the following optics:

Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40mm. $460 - AO, Matte, 4" sunshade, fine duplex.

2 - Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44mm. $350 - AO, Matte, 4" sunshade, target turrets, 1 - fine cross hair, 1 - Nikoplex.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm. $225 - AO, Matte, Duplex

Weaver Classic V10 2-10x50mm. $190 - Matte, Duplex

Send me and e-mail at [email protected] if your interested in anything. Thanks.

If you are limiting 2 rifles for big-game to North America I'll take only one.

My .338 Win mag
If I needed to for all of the world it would be my .338 Win mag and a .458 Lott
Both Ruger M-77s
smile.gif

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: Kyle ]

My Ruger 416wby and Remington 300 Ultra with 338-416 Rigby Imp switch barrel and bolt, the Ruger 4 5/8" Bisley Vaquero 500 Linebaugh for back up too.

Sorry, that's as close to two guns as I could get. Big bears change things a little for me though.

I've only had one moose not die instantly on the first shot with my 338wm in the past. He did go down, but got right back up when my brother put him down with his 338wm. This was the 4th moose killed at 350 yards, 4 years in a row in the almost same spot.

A 338wm is not a bad choice, but just doesn't offer the stopping power the 416's do. Trajectory with the heavy 338wm bullets is comparable to the 416wby, and for medium range use, was for me a better choice with the kids always tagging along hunting with me.

I have great love affair with the 338 bore and as of yet had one fail me. I believe the 338 to be the ultimate all around bore.

I would also reccommend the 338 WM. I have 4 different 338's currently, 338-284, 338WM, 330 Dakota, 338 Lapua. I have owned a 340WBY and 338RUM, both are very good rounds. The advantage I see to getting the WM is if you decide to become more involved in LRH you can have the rifle rechambered for the WBY or maybe the RUM (if you have a long enough barrel and make it a single shot).

I don't know if you are into wildcat's but the 338-284, so far has been a great round. Also a 338 WSM may be a nice all around.

Just my opinions, FWIW.

Jim

The only problem with rechambering a 338wm is mag length, the Winchester and Ruger are too short for the 340 or the Ultras, so keep that in mind. The Remington works for me, but I'd rather have a possitive feed for a DGR. We were hunting a few years back and the bolt handle broke off my fathers Rem 700 358 Norma, imagine that being face to face with claws and teeth.
shocked.gif

Darrel what is the difference between the 25-06 AI and the 25 gibbes and what king of velocity are you getting with the gibbes with 100g bullets with a 30" tub (3500)?

With the 7/300 Weatherby is the shoulder 35 degrees?

Crow Mag

I've never been on those dream hunts you were talking about myself but I think the .338 Win mag would make a great one gun option.180 grn and 200 bullets for whitetail,210to225 for mulies,250 for caribou and elk,and 300 grainers for bear and moose.I don't know but I'm sure it would work as I use the .338 with 200 grainers for Whitetail and it isn't over kill.Just my input.

Please tell me about the 330 Dakota.

It seems to be a great compromise hunting rifle in .338 caliber at about 8.5 pounds, with scope.

What I mean is that

1.the published velocities are between a .338 win. mag. and a 340 wea.- so not too much recoil in an 8.5 pound rifle.

2.It fits a standard length action- so a shorter bolt stroke than the .338 rum or lapua or 340 wea.- this would be good for a quicker follow-up shot on bear.

3. It has no belt, unlike the .338 win. mag which might make it slightly more accurate

4. Brass is made (apparently) by Norma, so quality brass is available

IS THIS THE REALITY? What do you think of this cartridge?

I would like to use it in B.C. and Alberta for hunting elk, sheep, moose, mulies, mountain goat, black bear with the occasional encounter with Grizzly or Brown bears on the coast.

Two rifles? For everything? There's no way you can do all the different things I like to do with only 2 rifles so part of the decision would be choosing what kinds of hunting to give up. Don't want to go there.

My first priority is a walking around varmint rifle since that's what I spend most of the year doing. I suppose a Remington 700 VSSF in .220 Swift would be a start. I don't do high volume shooting and barrel heat and barrel life aren't much of a consideration.

The second rifle could be for hunting game. It would probably either be a .338, 'cause in my experience the .338 doesn't kick as much as .300 win mag and bigger .30 caliber yet it's more effective without blowing up quite as much meat, or it'd be some sorta single shot lobbing big cast bullets.

I would really hate to have to get by without a rimfire or two, muzzleloader ... etc.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.