300WSM????????

purpledragon

Any of you guys that shoot the 300wsm, would if you please, help us out here.
One of the boys and I did a 300wsm on a Savage 110 action, with a Shaw bbl,
with a 1in12 twist for the lighter projectiles. We've played with seating depth,
and several different powders. Just can't get her to group worth a crap. He's used Shaw bbls on several builds and have had no trouble at all. Just wondering if there is something we've missed, as we know the WSM's can be finicky.

ANY HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with a 1in12 twist for the lighter projectiles. We've played with seating depth,
and several different powders. Just can't get her to group worth a crap. He's used Shaw bbls on several builds and have had no trouble at all. Just wondering if there is something we've missed, as we know the WSM's can be finicky.

Mine shoots exceptional with H4350 and Berger 180 Elites…and HH 181 and 166. You may also want to try the Berger Classics. As for as being finicky, no way in all my experience with them.

I have 2 Savage .300 WSMs without issues (both are 1:10"), other than needing longer COAL for the long heavies. What bullets, weights, and brands have you tried? The more pertinent information you can share, the better it yields possible solutions for your issue(s).

I use Staball6.5 at 68.4gr with a 175gr LRX. Under 1.5" 15 shot groups at 100 are easy. Also found quick success with 130gr ttsx with same powder and think it has been very easy to find loads for.
51848.jpeg

I would start at square 1 and verify twist which dictates a lot for bullet selection. Then as above details really are needed for any useful suggestions.

I use Staball6.5 at 68.4gr with a 175gr LRX. Under 1.5" 15 shot groups at 100 are easy. Also found quick success with 130gr ttsx with same powder and think it has been very easy to find loads for.
View attachment 465461

View attachment 465461

Have had multiple 300 short mags even gone through a barrel or two in that cartridge. Can't remember one that didn't shoot a moderate load with 4350 that didn't shoot really well. It never produced crazy velocity but having shot everything from 125 to 210's over 4350 it's always worked pretty well.
What bullet are you using in a 12 twist?
Is it a standard chamber reamer?
Have you checked the barrel for obvious signs of the common flaws? (Carbon ring from early load work, crown with a burr etc..). Everyone has an oops squeak out from time to time.
Final question is what are your accuracy goals? Is it shooting 1 inch and you wanted .25 or are we talking scatter gun groups?

He's used the 125 Accubonds,125 Hor. SST, 130 TTSX Barnes,
151 Absolute hammers, and 124 Hammer Hunters, that I know of. 210 & 215 Fed. primers, as well as both large Win. primers. The powders that I know of, Re#17,22,25,26, AA2064, Varget.
I'd have to get the list of powders, as there's been a bunch. As to why I posted for help, haven't had this much trouble
with anything from .22 to .458 ever before. The action was trued, it's all bedded in a chassis stock. Gonna run the Tubb's
lapping bullets thru it next to see if maybe it's a rough barrel.
I don't know his COAL or CBTO, I'll try and contact him and get those #'s and post them for further help to you guys.
Thanks much for jumping in to help!!!!!!!!!
Oh, std reamer, as to what ever Shaw uses, it was bought
as a ready to go bbl. As groups go, the best so far was 2 1/4" the rest is 3 to 4"@100 "Terrible" in my book......

3 to 4 inch groups... my mind is thinking mechanical flaw somewhere in the tube. Seating depth and powder for node adjustment is more a fine tuning, 3-4 inches would have me checking crown and scoping bore...

He had 2 300wsm's, and sold the Rem. 700 Boone&Crockett
Edition which shot light's out. Guess he figured the chassis
rig would shoot fine(wrong!!) Told him not to sell it, but no one listens to Pop's...lol

I would start with the obvious stuff make sure rings are solid and the scope isn't wandering. Then I'd get a Q-tip and check the crown make sure you're not having any Burrs easiest way is to lightly drag a Q-tip in and out of the bore and see if it picks up any fluff.

Next Step I'm going to do is check the lead and see if all this load work up and initial site in cause the carbon ring or any obvious signs it might need a good old scrubbing. My next step after that is to find someone with one of those Amazon bore cams and run it up there and see if there's any obvious signs. Then and only then I'm going to chase accuracy loads from the books and do the fine adjustment of overall length and 10th of grain load workup. All else fails it's back in the box to shaw.

If it's clean with a good crown and no obvious signs and it's still shooting three to four inches on average it might just be a bum Barrel. They do sneak out from time to time especially with the insanity we've had in sourcing raw materials as well as labor.