300wsm ?

darrindlh

Guys,
I'm looking to buy a 300 wsm. I want this to be a moderate range hunting rifle. 700 yards and under. Which platform should i start with? All opinions are welcome.

Darrin

I built mine around a 700 LA. I can seat the bullets and get just under 3000 fps with 215 Bergers and accuracy is 1/2 moa. I like the beltless cartridge. Using Norma brass.

Awesome guys thank you for the help. In considering feeding. Did you run into feeding issues using a LA over the SA? And how did you remedy the issue?

Darrin

I'm not certain how much modification you are wanting/needing to do for an under 700 yard 300wsm hunting rifle, so I'm a bit confused by the "which platform should I start with question". I have all Rem700 and customs rifles, but we picked up a very nice Browning A-bolt 300wsm for my son. It's not heavy, feeds perfectly, shoots under an MOA, has a great trigger, and with the thumb-hole laminated stock its one of the prettiest rifles I've ever seen...all right out of the box.

Coloyooper,
It has to shot everytime sub minuet at the range. My practice techniques are I practice at double the distance I'm planning on hunting at. If my max range is 700 I ALWAYS practice to 1400 yrds. So a platform is needed to build a semi custom rifle that will shoot Miniet of angel to 1400 yrds. I shoot over 1000 rounds a year

Darrin

"It has to shoot sub minute EVERY time at the range" your lack of experience is showing. I said it shoots sub MOA and it does. In ideal situations with a 300wsm, sub MOA at 100 yards, is sub MOA at 1400 yards. BUT, NOBODY GUARANTEES SUB MOA EVERY TIME. I was in a 1000 yard benchrest shoot-off with the current world record 1000yard holder (I WON)...we did our sighting shoots, got all dialed in for wind, and then shot for score. Unfortunately the wind switched direction. I'm embarrassed to admit neither one of us held sub 3 MOA! and I certainly would not recommend either of our rifles for hunting!

Coloyooper your lack of is estonishing. I can garuntee with we've gone of my
Rifles that it will shoot sub minuet EVERY time info to range. You comment
Is the most obsered comment I have ever read. This is a longrange hunting site in which we GARUNTEE our rifles to shoot SUB MOA everytime to the range or guess what we don't use that rifle and we rebuild. A factory rifle is okay , but I use semi customs because I garuntee shooting submoa EVERYTIME. And I have been shooting 1000+ rounds every year since I started longrange. You don't know me or my rifles or my experience. Everytime to the range it must shoot sub minuet as long as I do my part. Or the rifle gets rebuilt. And everyone of my rifles will shoot sub minuet EVERYTIME I go to the range. EVERYTIME. Don't come on here and start a ******* match. Most longrange hunters on this site have rifles to that shoots sub minuet every outting. It's that important in longrange hunting. I could careless about bench rest.
Darrin

Okay guys sorry for the annoying drama. Back to the question. So thank you for the opinions. I picked up a Remington la and have sent it to the smith. We broke the rifle down to only the action. It's going to wear a 26 in rock creek M24 contour barrel. A Timney trigger, a McMillan a5 adjustable stock which will be bedded. When the build is complete I'll post pics. This will be awesome.
Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.