300wsm or 300 win mag??

Thanks for the input so far guys! I'm kind of torn between the 300 win mag and the 30-06. I have no intention of shooting over 600 yards and like I was saying most of my shots are in the 300 yard range. I have been looking at ammo prices and the 30-06 is ammo is pretty cheap and available everywhere. Will the 30-06 do the job on an elk out at 400 yards or possibly 500 yards? I like the idea of less recoil coming out of the 30-06 as well but im not too concerned about the recoil out of a 300 win mag. Thanks again for the input so far this is really helping out!

My 300 Win Mag is a LOT faster than my 300WSM. Like 200fps+ faster.

I would go to the 300WM over the 300WSM. My 300WSM is closer to a 7RM than the 300WM.
That's your rifles. Your loads.

Doesn't mean it's truth for all WM vs. WSM. So many will argue and we have already, that pressure for pressure, bullet for bullet. barrel for barrel. They are so close that it's personal preference, firearm features and availability of factory loads that decisions are made on.

That's your rifles. Your loads.

Doesn't mean it's truth for all WM vs. WSM. So many will argue and we have already, that pressure for pressure, bullet for bullet. barrel for barrel. They are so close that it's personal preference, firearm features and availability of factory loads that decisions are made on.

My 300 WSM must be really,really slow.

I actually would rather have the 270WSM for a deer/ occasional elk rifle. My standard less than 500 yard deer load is a Berger 130 loafing at a little over 3000fps, I can push the 160g Matrix faster than that for larger game. Ammo is pretty easy to come by and brass/bullets are usually available even now.

many yrs ago 1 of the gun mags. did a comparison of the .06 to the 300wm and 300 weatherby. round for round comparing factory only ammo, surprisingly they only had about 200fps diff. with all bullet weights. Once they pushed the range out to 400yrd i believe is when the magnums started to shine. i like many others isnt a fan of the 30-06 but it does work.

Ok so it's sounding like the 300 win mag is the way to go for an elk gun. I've been looking at the sporting good stores in town and it looks like there is plenty of 300 win mag ammo out there. Any recommendations on what gun to get or look at? I like the tikka and the remington 700 so far. I don't want anything super heavy though like my vanguard. It's not fun packing that thing 10 miles a day. And thanks again guys for the info so far!

I own both. They are almost identical in performance. Both are great shooters. If you are only going to be using factory ammo go with the 300 win mag. Ammo is cheaper and way more plentiful. I found that the real benefit of the short mag comes with reloading. My buddy has a 300 wm tikka t3 that shoots lights out. Being such a light gun it can be hard on the sholder but a limbsaver fixes that. Good luck in your choice but either round will perform awesome for you.

100% agree!! Tikkas love factory ammo and generally shoot less than 1moa out of box... Sometimes... .5moa or less. the 300 win mag will be easier to find factory ammo for than the 300wsm. But consider a decent brake and or decelerator. I'd go with a brake and pad... But I have a braked 300wm and I wouldn't shoot it any other way. No flinching makes for some good long range accuracy!

Good luck!

Of those you mention
The Tikka T3 Lite will be the lighest.
Then Vanguard.
The Remington after that.

Hey everybody I am new to this forum and I am looking for some info and advice on a new hunting rifle. I live in Montana and most of my hunting is done in big open country with the possibility to shoot out to 1,000 yards plus. However most of my shots are in the 300-400 yard range. I have a 270 that I use for deer and antelope hunting and I use a 130 grain bullet, but I am in need of a new elk gun. What are the pros/cons between the 300 win mag and 300wsm? As a side note I am a college student so I don't have time to do any reloading so I will be shooting factory ammo. What is a great shooting gun using factory ammo and is under $750? I've been looking at the tikka, vanguard s2, savage trophy hunter xp, and remington 700. Anything helps guys! Thanks!

I did not read every post. If you are not going to reload go with the .300WM. My choice would be either the Tikka or the Savage.

... and so as the felt recoil "as-is". Weight is your friend when it comes to felt recoil. lightbulb
Darn straight man.

Carry an extra pound or two and not have a purple spot on my shoulder.

The 300Wby Ultralight with magna ports down right hurt at 7 1/2 lb with scope. The 18 3/4 lb 300 RUM target rifle is a ***** cat.

More normal, the 9 1/2 lb 200 Wby or 11 1/2 lb are not a recoil problem.

My views are not the same because I probably won't back pack. Short haul, truck or atv and walk.

I dont really consider 06 elk cartidge, But I use to run into guy hunting that last count had 26 6x6 with his. I have taken quite bit game with a 325 wsm,but I would pick the 300 win every time.The guy with the 06 was never really stretching it and he didnt like it when I blasted the elk from across canyon with my 340 wby.

I dont really consider 06 elk cartidge, But I use to run into guy hunting that last count had 26 6x6 with his. I have taken quite bit game with a 325 wsm,but I would pick the 300 win every time.The guy with the 06 was never really stretching it and he didnt like it when I blasted the elk from across canyon with my 340 wby.

I've always thought if both the 308 and 30-06 to be outstanding elk cartridges. They might not have the reach of the magnum 300s and 338, but literally tons of elk have been and will continue to be harvested using standard 30s. With the right bullet combination... Berger 168s, 210s, & 215s, both the 306 and 30-06 are capable of taking elk out to 600 and out to 800 yards. I consider that to be a very effective elk cartridge. But that being said... When I go out for elk at distance... I take my 300wm!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.