.300wm........ What would you do?

Nikolakangrga

Ok guys, what would you guys do:

Kimber Montana .300 wm
Vx3 4.5-14x40 LR

Above is my rifle and scope. I am trying to figure out which bullet beat fits my needs... -The round must fit in my magazine
-sub MOA
-reliable expansion from 50 yards to 800 yards
-will be used for deer, hogs, and black bear. Elk may be coming soon but for now just those three.

Any ideas? What would your guys first choices be for load development.

I really appreciate it!
Nick

Try 72-77grns H4831 under 180grn Accubond or 73-80grns H1000 under a 200grn accubond, the hornady sst interlocks are a good subsitute for accubonds also. My hunting rounds with noslers are .015" off the lands and come to 3.457 oal, so there's about .050" left to spare in a standard long action. My load currently is 73.7grns Imr4350 with 180grn NBT at 3.457" in black hills brass with CCI BR2 primers but this is very warm, past max book, will not work in all rifles but you. Could try to work up to it. It only gives me 3116 fps but for the accuracy I get I'm willing to lose the other 100fps its capable of with a slower powder.

as far as killing ability yes i recommend the partition over the accubond. The accubond has a slight advantage in long range as far as trajectory goes but out to 800 I doubt they have a real world edge in flight but the partition will be superior in killing ability. another option are barnes tripple shocks because the like to be seated off the Lans which means when loaded to fit a magazine a lot of times they are the most accurate choice and they are hammers also

I do not disagree on the partitions they are good bullets, almost the same as accubonds but constructed a little heavier and no polymer tip to aid in exspansion and the CE bullets are monolithics, so in short at close ranges you may have through and throughs with partition and CE's even if you hit bone if the game is real close.

That may be possible but I have never had a partition fail. I have shot elk deer and antelope as close as 40 yards and as far as 550 with Partitions and have never had an issue. the soft lead tip expands very easily at any velocity while retaining a lot of weight for penetration.

I always thought th accubond would be a more superior killing bullet due to the design. The accubond also would help extend my range a bit do to the bullet design. I would be hunting 1000 ft elevation mostly and occasionally @ 3000 ft elavation. So the accubond would get out there a bit further and stay within the minimum 1800 fps min velocity. Any thoughts?

out to 800 yards you wont be able to tell the difference in trajectory between the 2 and the partition in my experience kills much better. either should be fine though. I recommend 200's if you ever decide to go after elk though

Ditto on the partitions they have always worked for me in the 300WM plus numerous other calibers for years. I have a couple of rifles that shoot them into ragged holes which goes against general thinking for some. Nosler has been making the partitions better over the last 10 or so years and I have seen an increase in accuracy. I am not knocking the AB excellent bullet and easy to get shooting in any caliber I have tried them in currently. I have a couple of ab's recovered from game. I have a whole lot more partitions found against the hide on the off side. Some like pass through's for blood trails personally I like all the energy dumped in the target. When I do my part right they never get too far and most of the time if I am shooting the right cartridge for the distance involved it is pretty much bang flop or a few wobbly steps and down.

Really there are lot of good bullets out there it is up to us to match them to what we are going to be doing with them.

Cool, thanks guys for the help. I am going to try both the partition and the accubond. I will see which one my rifle likes best and I should be set.

Does anyone use the accubond for long range hunting (600-1000yds)? How do they shoot out to those extended ranges?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.