what would you do?

I think the fast twit barrels are overrated, 1:9.5 is perfect for 162 eldx, or 168 vld, which are perfect bullets for what your trying to do, but I've shot the 175 out of a 1:9.25 with great luck. Imo fast twist barrels are great for the big heavies (180-195's) but make shooting medium weight bullets more finicky. Your not going to have the freebore for really long bullets without taking up quite a bit of case capacity. My guess is that the 162-168's are going shoot right with, or maybe even outrun the 180's out to 1000 out of that rifle, from a ballistic standpoint.

I get that it's not what you want, but it might be better suited for what your trying to do. Sounds like a good guy that's treating you pretty fair.

Lot's of guys shooting 175-180's out of rem sendero's 1:9.25 with good results.

I'd see how it shoots, and if your not happy, like others have said, take the cash and put towards a custom barrel. I's a pretty good bet with the odds in your favor.

Good luck with it.

Yes its 9.5 twist...I measured it when I got home while cleaning the bore that's how I knew it was wrong.
yes..the xbolt has a long mag (1 of the reasons I bought it over a tikka)

Mudrunner, he is willing to get me the right gun BUT not for the same price ( i would have to pay $145 more) because browning increased their price by several hundred dollars on the new fast twist rate barrels apparently his price with no profit on the 1:8 twist rifle is $775 ( which is what he offered to sell it to me for) browning's suggested retail is $980, so he would sell it to me for $200 less than what browning suggests....it is really brownings fault as they should never have used the same upc/part number for the 1:8 twist as the 1:9.5twist rifles.
Go check out their website, all the hells canyon LR rifles are the same way--- heck, some other guys may be in the same boat with a $1200 or $1800 hells canyon rifle and not know it ( as they changed to fast twist rate this year also but are still using the same upc/part number too)....supposedly the only way to tell without actually measuring is that the new fast twist rate barrels are stamped with the cartridge and twist rate-- old ones just have the cartridge....
The vendor ordered this rifle in 2018 and received it in August of 2018 from browning thinking it was the fast twist rate rifle as he ordered using the upc/part number on brownings website...browning sent a 2017 old twist rate rifle to him.
I do not expect the guy to lose $ due to brownings screw up, and you know browning doesn't care, they did say he could get on a back order list for the new rifle at the new price but that's it.
With any internet gun sale they always throw the "terms of sale" out there but no one reads them or understands them...every internet gun sale is "final non-returnable" so I feel this vendor is going out of his way to make it right-- he could have told me to pound sand as I had already accepted shipment and went through the ffl transfer process--if you read my 1st post he is also willing to pay for shipping back to him and give me a full refund (including shipping) on my cc if I want it, that was one of the options.

Like mudrunner, at first I was pretty upset when I found out, then I shot him an email and he actually responded to me at 11pm hhis time to tell me he would call browning in the morning and call me back with options he also told me right off the bat that he would give me a full refund if I wanted to send it back .
I feal the vendor is making it right and trying to fix brownings mistake.
Did the dealer tell you the prices increased, or did you actually see the prices increase yourself on their website with the MSRP? Just asking, because if the dealer told you that, then he might be pulling a fast-one on your trying to get more money to make up for those "lost profits" he was worried about before.

This might be ultimately Browning's fault for doing that, but the dealer is responsible for making sure his customers get the right product they want/order.

If he refuses to order you the exact same rifle, but with the newer 1:8 twist, for the same price he sold the 9.5" twist rifle to you for, then I would get a refund and take my business elsewhere. Same model number, should be the same price. Usually MSRP prices don't "jump a couple hundred bucks" just because the changed the twist rate. Typically they might jump $20-30, maybe $50, but not typically more than that at one time. Plus, he shouldn't be charging you more, to get you the right thing that you ordered to begin with, when he should have verified before selling it to you. If he ordered straight from Browning, then he should have specified he wanted a 1:8 twist 2018 model... This is ALL on him for not doing so before the rifle was ever shipped to him, or sold to you.

mud-- I know that browning lists the new 1:8 twist rife at $980, so his $775 price seems right for an internet sale--I have no clue what dealer pricing is as I'm not a dealer, and I have no clue what the pricing was on the old 2017 models as Browning no longer lists the 1:9.5 twist model on their site so I kinda have to take his word on the pricing. I also know that most listings for x-bolt long range rifles on the web are the 1:9.5 twist rate

I did actually find and confirm a stalker LR in the 1:8 twist at sportsmans warehouse in NM (called and asked them to see if it says 1:8 twist on the barrel)--it is selling for $859 plus tax (so I could have it transfered to my local store but with tax I would pay $935 and cabelas lists their price as $899-so his price of $750 if I want to order it and wait seems decent and his $530 (after $100 refund) price on the 2017 model seems more than fair to me since the lowest price I found on any of the 1:9.5 twist rate rifles for was his price of $630 shipped
I think I'l just stick with the 160 class bullets keep the rifle and take the cash back (like I was leaning towards yesterday) see how it shoots--if I'm happy Ill keep it--if I'm not happy with it I will either sell it off (should be able to get close to what I paid for it if it comes down to that due to his discount) and buy the faster twist later, or re-barrel it with a high quality aftermarket barrel

That's what I'm saying... I think his FFL guy is full of crap, and lying to him to make more money off his screwup. He should have been the one to specify with Browning he wanted a 1:8 twist rifle, because as a gun dealer, he knew (or should have known) about the updated twist rates. Just because they changed the twist rate doesn't mean they jacked the price a couple hundred bucks for the exact same rifle. That would be ludicrous, and Browning knows that. They would lose their *** off in lost sales over a stunt like that. Like I said before, price might jump $20, $30, $50...But not more than that, unless they changed more than the twist rate, and upgraded something else on the rifle, like putting it in a better quality stock.

Well mud-- you would have gotten a 1:9.5 twist rifle...buds retail shop checked and both rifles there are not 1:8, they show 3 more in thg he pairs warehouse and guess what, they checked and not 1:8 twist.Also note that the buds website does not list the twist rate at all so most would assume sin e it is October of 2018 they would be getting the 1:8 twist rifle since it is the 2018 model

It seems there is no way (according to the GM at the buds in KY) for them to know what is coming from browning by using their standard ordering procedure ...he did say the same thing that they could get me on a special order list direct from browning but they are backordered with no expected ship date--- I asked if the price would be the same and he told me he would have to contact browning again as special order guns are not offered with the same pricing as normally stocking items (round about way of saying it will cost more) seems like I've found a unicorn

Last edited:
I never said it's a guarantee that you would find the rifle... I just said he should have called and confirmed, based on the fact that it's known the twist rates changed, and you were wanting a specific 1:8 twist.

he did call browning to confirm what the specs on the rifle were--problem I see is he just gave them the model number and upc--not the serial number--Browning told him that he had a 1:8 twist rifle in his hands (I did confirm that in writing before I ordered it)--I just wish browning had told him to go look on the barrel as the new fast twist rate barrels are marked right next to the engraved cartridge-- we would not have had this issue if they had told him to do that or if they had asked him for the actual serial number, or if I had known the barrels were marked that way.

anyway, I can tell that you would just want your full refund (which was one of the options he offered) If you wanted the faster twist for the same price you would need to buy it somewhere else and have either yourself or the seller put their hands on the rifle to see if it had the fast twist on the barrel and find one for that low of a price (which I don't think you will find one with that twist rate for that price--I could be wrong though)--I have now personally called over 20 stores (local and online retailers)--of the 23 I have called now, only 1 actually had the fast twist rate but the rifle is over $900 out the door -- of the online retailers only about 1/3 are either willing to check or actually have the rifle there to check to see what it says on the barrel--the other 2/3 either do not actually stock the rifle and would just pull it from some other warehouse (so no way to know what it really is), or would not take the time to go check it if it was in stock.

you know what they say though-- you can make all the people happy some of the time, you can make some of the people happy all of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.:)

Last edited:
I've got a 9.25 7mmRM that had to be built in a pinch for the 2014 hunting season, and it shoots the 168 VLD's great. But, once it's burnt, It's getting a 1:8 26" PR CF barrel.

It appears to me that cohunt is happy with what he has at the price he got it for.
If he's happy with his purchase, that's all that matters. But he asked "What would you do?" So, we all said what we would do in that situation. If I ordered a 1:8 twist, I expect to get a 1:8 twist. Too many people bend these days, then aren't happy with their choice down the road, once it's too late. That's why I suggested what I did, before he shoots the gun, and gets stuck with it, whether he is happy or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.