300RUM range report

dancoman

Got to try out first loads today. RL25 with 91.5 and 92 with 200AB. Fac. Rem. Sendero.
91.5 second and third shot were almost inside each other with the first shot 1 5/8'' down and left.
92 second and third shot almost inside each other with all three within 7/8''.
Temp was close to 80%. Let barrel cool almost 10 min between shots and about 30 between groups.
Should I be fine going to 92.5. I have no presure signs and groups are starting to come in.

I don't know what it is with my senderos. My 7mmRUM shooting 94.5 RL25 and 150 sciroccos shoots a 1/2'' group, with the first shot being the odd ball. First shot is allways a little left with the next three hole for hole.
Not a real problem, but what causes this. Both these senderos are showing the same pattern. I still spend about a week for final sighting in, shooting only one time first thing in the morning before work. Is there a cure for the first shot odd ball. Like I said if I can get the 300 to around 1/2, not a real problem for this is only going to be used for large deer and elk hunting.
Don't it just bug ya when one shot messes up a ragged hole group.
regards,DM

Always use first shot for foul shot when shooting group then print the next ones.Plenty of rifles will do just like yours is doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

The first shot is the one that counts in hunting.

What I do is shoot one round then dry patch ,then
shoot your first sighter in a clean dry barrel.

That is your hunting zero.

After cleaning a fouling shot is nessary to remove all
oil and/or solvents.

You can go hunting like this for a short time unless it
is very damp.

At the range I use junk brass (after sorting brass by weight
I allways end up with 6 or 8 that are to far out for testing
so I use these for fouling shots before each group).

Dry patching by its self will not remove all of the oil.

If you hunt with oil in your barrel use the fouling shot
for your zero.

Hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

I was speaking in terms of shooting from a bench into a target.If the rifle shoots consistent with one foul shot then I would hunt with the barrel with one foul shot down it.The one that hits the kill zone would be the one I consider important when taking game.

When I get to my final load I will do the 300rum like I did my 7mmRUM. I will shoot once every morning and zero with all cold shots. If the next two or three are a half inch differance, I don't think that will effect me for hunting purposes.
I normally clean good before hunting season then foul and sight in. In most all my hunting firearms I will do nothing else durning the season except run a bore snake thru it, then clean good after hunting season. Most all my guns shoot a lot better fouled.

Here's the results of my session at the range last week. Nesika action, Lilja barrel, Jewell trigger, and Bill Shehane stock, and Nikon scope. 300 RUM, 95 grains of Retumbo, Barnes 180 grain MRX slugs. This is an 8 shot group at 100 yards, the one shot high is the first out of a cold clean barrel. The group was shot within five minutes.
Cades300RUM08-29-06.jpg

brass, was the shot at 11 oclock to the main group your second shot. If I were a bettin man I would say it was shot #2.

If that was the case, I would happily take 2 fouling shots before I group... That'd be an awesome group!

Yes, shot #2 is the 11 oclock hole. I am impressed with the grouping of the new MRX bullets. I think they will be going hunting with me this year!

i also workedup loads this week end
300 rum sendero
180tsx
retumbo powder

i started low and worked my way up.
i was comparing my loads to the factory remington load with the identical barnes bullet
i seated the bullet to max magi length still .100 off the lands.
the stock remington ammo was at +2.5 in above the bull
my loads started 2 inches below the bull at 85g of retumbo
as i worked up my loads i watched them move up the target
at max powder i was identical to the rmington load but the gouping was beter .5 grain below max.
I ended up at 100 grins of retumbo.
hotter than where i wanted to be but still no presure signs on any of the loads.

Exactly why I shoot a foul shot.That is an outstanding group, three shots will prove the gun more will prove the shooter... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well 92.5 went the wrong way for me. Guess I will have to stay with the 92gr. load or switch powders. Will stay where I'm out for now until temps go down. I normally get a lot better groups when it's not 80%. If that 7/8'' groups comes in any at all I believe I can live with it for elk hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts