300RUM & H869 & 190VLD?

Waffen

I'm looking for a starting load for my 300 RUM using 869 and a Berger 190 VLD. I've emailed Berger and got no responce so far and i've searched this forum but couldn't find anything with a combo like this. Please let me know if yall have shot this combo or something in the 180-190gr range.

I looked at Hodgdon's website but the velocities wern't even breaking 3000 from their max load. I'm not real sure what the deal was there.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Personally, I think it is too slow for that light bullet. I found it a touch too slow for the 210s. I'd look @ Retumbo.

Already tried Retumbo, RL-25, RL-22, H-1000, 7828, Retumbo, and 50BMG. I'm looking for a something that will work!

Oh yes plenty of them

Sierra:
175SMK
180SMK
200SMK
220SMK
180 Game King (just for the heck of it)

Swift
180gr Sirocco II

Speer
180gr Match BTHP
168gr Match BTHP

Nosler
165gr BT
180gr BT

Hornady
180gr SST
180gr BTHP Interlock
180gr Interbonds

This is out of a factory Sendero.

Tell us, none of those are grouping
with your Sendero? What kind of groups
are you getting?
Retumbo and Reloader 25 are hard to beat
with the 300 RUM specially using 200 gr. bullets. My
sendero shoots awesome with the 200 gr. Accubond using
Retumbo powder.

I'm at 109.5g US869 with a 200AB .010 off lands. Can't fit much more in the case. 3225fps with 26" tube. Not a 190, but close. I've gotten much better grouping and velocities with this powder and the 200AB than with Retumbo or RL-25. Not sure if 869 is too slow for a 190, but give it a shot. It seems to be working for me. How long's your barrel?

[ QUOTE ]
Already tried Retumbo, RL-25, RL-22, H-1000, 7828, Retumbo, and 50BMG. I'm looking for a something that will work!

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing wrong with the powders listed in the 300 RUN with 190 grain bullets. If your RUM doesn't shoot with one of those powders, then I would think long and hard about re-barreling.......

I have thought long and hard about it, but unfortunatly in the past 6 months i've purchased my first house, got married, and got a dog that is real sick so finances are kind of limited. I'm thinking of trying the Tubb TMS setup if this does not work.

I shoot the 300 Rum using 95 to 99 grs of Retumbo with 180 Noslet BT's and Fed 215 primers and get excellent accuracy and between 3250 and 3350 fps. Three shooting buddies use RL25 at 95grs using the same bullet and primer and get similar results. Maybe this will help.

Sounds like a rifle problem more then a bullet/powder problem. That really sucks to buy a $800 rifle and it dont shoot for crap with over 5 powders and 10 bullets. That Tubbs might work, but if your that unhappy w/the results your getting now, I doubt tubbs is going to make a day/night difference.

Waffen,
if those bullets listed were tried in that order, with the first 3 or four bullets you used it was time to look into your bedding or your barrel. Definately somethig is wrong with the rifle.
I agree with jwp475, and remingtonman_25_06. Just before you get into messing with the barrel, take a hard look into your bedding. I still would like to know what kind of grouping you're getting and at what distance.

Some 300RUM Senderos suck. I bought my first one after 8 months of searching when they quit making them. It shot a 3.5" 100 yard group with multiple loads after barrel break in. I sent it back to Remington and they did replace it. I was surprised since their guarentee is 3.5" at 80 yards. They sent me a new one that shot 3" at 100. I tried the Final Finnish and it improved by an inch. Both of these guns fouled terribly- worse than anything I've ever seen. So now my $800 300RUM Sendero is in the hands of Fifty for a Lilja overhaul. I lost a lot of love for Remingtons after all this. I think from now on, custom is the only way to go. Good luck!

Well I have bedded the rilfe, and put in a new trigger thats probably down to sub 1 pound so it's not like I havn't tried the rifle approach. I am just hoping against all odds that I don't have to re-barrel the rifle, but I am scared that I will.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.