300RUM & H869 & 190VLD?

Sorry in advance for the long post. I have the same gun. It has gone thru a lot of changes from factory stock. First, HS bedding is not all that. In fact, it sucks. Two full packs of JB Weld later, the bedding is great. I also added two bushings around the action screws so there is almost zero tolerance between the screws/holes and when the action is torqued down the screws bottom out at the 65 in. lbs. that HS reccomends. The bedding extends about 2cm in front of the recoil lug.

Second, the factory recoil lug is too small for such a heavy tube and a heavy recoiling rifle. Changed it to a heavyweight Tubb. Situation solved.

Third, I had the gun rechambered with a PTG reamer 300 RUM Match. I have the reamer and the guages in my hand and I can "see" my chamber.

Fourth, the action is blueprinted. I had one lug that wasn't even touching. I had a lot of high pressure signs with lower powder charges before I found that one. I have heard that many guns are shipped this way and it is considered acceptable. Not conducive to accuracy.

Lastly, Wyatts extended mag box= COL's of about 3.800. Tubb Speedlock firing pin and spring. Trigger turned way down. Badger bolt knob, Farrell G Force 20 moa base that is glued and screwed, Vais brake, Limbsaver recoil pad and an extra swivel stud complete the work done to date.

What did all of this give me? A rifle that used to shoot very inconsistently ( poorly like yours), to one that will shoot pretty much ANYTHING I feed it into 1.25 to 1.5 at 100. I have found my accuracy /hunting load with wildcat 190 uld rbbt that is sub moa out to 425. 98 gr of retumbo gives 3160. I tried up to 100gr but accuracy went down. I also have 4 lbs. of H870 which I understand that the US 869 is the replacement for. 210 bergers at 3150 are quite nice. Just haven't found the right col for them though.

I didn't quite get the velocity and accuracy with the 870 and 190 as well as I did with the retumbo. reloader 22 and 25 suck as far as temp sensitivity. So does 870 too for that matter. I had to add more powder that the hodgdon manual for the retumbo charges to get advertised velocity. No pressure signs in my rifle though. Not so sure about others. Use caution. Any questions, pm me. Eric

Thanks for the advice, I have bedded the rifle, and I have put in a new trigger. I know it needs a new recoil lug becuase I can't imagine that it wouldn't bend in it's current state. As for now only getting 1.25 that is still unacceptable to me.

I'm expecting something to group .3-.4 at 100 and .7-.8 at 200. I know thats a tall order from a factory rifle, but I Think it's possible. I think I know what I need to do then, it's just time to save for a new barrel, it's just that it will end up costing me a thousand for a new barrel by the time you factor in installation.

ugh, I need another job. :-(

Edit:
Walt Berger also replied to an email I sent him and said he had never heard of US869 and figured it was a Mil-surp powder. I thought H870 was mil-surp but 869 was not? Am I wrong here?

Waffen,
I agree with you on the group sizes that you expect. I wish you the best and that soon you'll have it shooting to your likings.

H870 is old milsurp powder. It was cheap and dirty. It also left a hole in hodgdons line up when the supp;y went away. US 869 is the answer from hodgdon.

The groups that I am getting now to date are .3 at 200 with the wildcat retumbo combo. Your rifle should do the same.
Just find something that it likes. Unfortunately it may like something that you don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.