.300 WSM problems

skip AI

I shot my .300 WSM today with factory rounds to wear it in some more (its still only had 36rnds through it).
It starts off spraying 5 shots all around in about a 4inch square, then the next five in 1.5-2inch square.
If I was to be shooting these factory rounds from a cold, clean barrel as I would on deer the shot will either land 3inch high, 3inch to the left, 3 inch low or 3 inch to the right which is not a good thing.
There may be the possibility of it landing where I want it but not likely.

What do you think I should do?
Its just funny how it shoots crap with a clean, cool barrel.
Rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Hunter with a Leupold VX-1 2-7X33 using various loadings from Winchester.

Cheers

all of my factory barrels shoot better after i put 8-12 rounds out the end.they don't shoot 4" when clean but they deffinitely shoot better after the copper has filled in all the nooks and crannies!.

Double check your scope base and rings also check the action screws. If need be put a different scope on it to eliminate the scope as the problem and narrow it down to the rifle or ammo. Do you reload? If so work up a good hand load and retest. Being that it new it may take a while to break in. It's a toss up with factory barrels you may have gotten a ruff one that likes to be fouled. If none of this helps I would start looking at bedding and barrel floating. Good luck

The barrel is floated and yes I have a rough barrel, it copper fouls badly.
I have checked the screws and they are tight.
I think it might be the ammo with the lubalox coating or what ever it is called.
It does the same groups with the 180gn Accubond and 150gn Ballistic tip, which are both factory ammunition.

Cheers

If the barrel is rough try firelapping it with one of David Tubbs kits. I would try only half the recommended number of shots, clean and reevaluate the groups and how rough it is.

If you have checked the action screws, then put another scope on to check it.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.