.300 WSM Browning X-Bolt

tomt

A couple months ago, I purchased a Browning X-Bolt in .300 WSM. It has a 23" barrel, glass bedded receiver, Walnut stock, etc. I'm searching for a scope for this gun, trying to spend $800 or less. Two questions:

1. What is the effective range of this gun?

2. What scopes would match up with the effective range?

Thanks Tom

As far as you can accurately shoot it with the right load. Good glass for that money would be Zeiss conquest 4.5-14X 44 or 50. It would keep the gun light like it is and balance well. 180 Accubonds would be a good bullet for your set up on larger animals, your rifle will be limited to bullet selection do to the mag length.(VLD's like 190's and 210's will be too long).

I have and am very happy with my Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20 x 44 scope on my Sav. 300wsm. Also the 180 AB's are very accurate as are the 190 Bergers. My rounds just fit the magazine. Got out to 600 yds. last summer on steel and will reach 1000 this summer.

I have been looking at the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50, but I'm concerned about quality control. The leupold 4.5-14x50 CDS is another one.

Sightron SIII, Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Vortex viper, I would use any of these over a Bushnell, and they can be had for 800 or less.

I have an X Bolt Composite Stalker in 300 WSM and love it!! As far as effective range goes the farthest I've shot it was 485 yards but at that distance it put 5 shots into just under 3 inches which is not bad at all for such a lightweight hunting rifle. I imagine she'll shoot well out to 700 yards which is the farthest I dare shoot with my current scope set up.

Your effective range can be increased using a higher BC bullet (assuming you can get them shoot well) like a 185 grain Berger, but if your rifle likes the bullets seated a little longer like mine does, than you'll need to use a Dremel or a file to open up the front of the magazine just a little to allow for reliable functioning so the bullet tips don't hang up in the clip. I've never shot long distance with the Hornady Interbond but I got great groups with both the 165 and 180 grainers at 100 yards and they fit into the magazine with room to spare, I imagine they'd be a good long range bullet for your setup.

I chose to put a Burris Black Diamond 4-16 with a Ballistic Mil Dot reticle on my X Bolt because I found one for $400 on the local classifieds and it allows for first round hits on big game out to about 700 yards. Again, the farthest I've used it was 485 yards on a target but the bullets hit right where they should have.

Previous advice that has been given is all good on your scope choice. I would personally take a long look at Vortex because I had a pair of their Kaibab binoculars and the customer service when i needed warranty work could not have been any better and the optics were superb. However, all my guns wear Burris scopes because I've found them for great deals and I love how much light they gather at the extreme limits of legal shooting hours.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.