300 WSM and hammer bullet best combination?

klejeski

Good morning and happy New Year to all
I have read through multiple threads regarding the 300 WSM But I have not come up with a great answer for myself maybe you guys can help me?
I am having a Custom Lightweight rifle built this Spring. The purpose of the rifle is for hunting deer and elk out to say Is 800 yd. Since the rifle is being built I can go either long or short action to get the most out of the 300 WSM cartridge. A longer throat to extend the bullet as needed. For the guys that have loaded and played with this Is caliber and Hammer bullets what is the sweet spot for barrel twist rate, Bullet weight and velocity combined For the best optimum hunting round. Looking to go with a 22" barrel

Thanks for your input greatly appreciated any other thoughts would also be greatly appreciated

barrel Has not been ordered yet but I am leaning towards 9 twist. Not looking to shoot heavyweight as I think more velocity will be better. Leaning toward the 181 hh

I currently shoot a 166hh but maxed out in the magazine. Or it's a single shot.

Last edited:
barrel Has not been ordered yet but I am leaning towards 9 twist. Not looking to shoot heavyweight as I think more velocity will be better. Leaning toward the 181 hh

I currently shoot a 166hh but maxed out in the magazine. Or it's a single shot.
Sounds like you answered your action length question. Medium or long action so you can seat the larger hammer farther out.

If the 181HH needs a 9 twist then that should be the barrel choice.

A 22" is good especially if you want to suppress it. If not and you want that little extra velocity 24".

Seems like you are on the right track.

Please share your build as it comes together. I was thinking about the same type of rifle however I did not really know where to start so I'll be watching for a possible future build. Meanwhile, I picked up a stock 300 PRC which is more of a plan "B" and could be replaced with a 300 WSM later.

I'm thinking about rechambering a short action into 300WSM. Just talked with Steve at Hammer yesterday, asked him in the current lineup what bullet would be best for 300 WSM in a short action and he said 166HH without hesitation, and 3100 to 3200 should be achievable in a 22" barrel. How fast are you pushing them?

Also worth noting that Hammer is working on testing some higher bc bullet prototypes. Might be worthwhile to wait a month or two.

I always say the 300 wsm is a great cartridge as long as it isn't in a short action. Lol!

If you go with a medium or long action the 181g Hammer Hunter would be a great bet. I would run with an 8" twist barrel for any 30 cal running any of our bullets. We have not seen a down side to faster twist, even with the light Hammer Bullets. If you get a 9" twist you will still be good to go with the 181g HH.

I bought a tikka just for this. Have 160 gr Hammers and now trying to decide how short to go on the barrel. Currently stock length and just starting load work with the 160 Hammers.
Same goal, lighter weight, 800 yard capable. Potentially suppress or put it in a folding chassis in the future. For now it will get a Witt machine break to take some recoil until I can figure out barrel length and put a Ti Pro 1 break on.

I bought a tikka just for this. Have 160 gr Hammers and now trying to decide how short to go on the barrel. Currently stock length and just starting load work with the 160 Hammers.
Same goal, lighter weight, 800 yard capable. Potentially suppress or put it in a folding chassis in the future. For now it will get a Witt machine break to take some recoil until I can figure out barrel length and put a Ti Pro 1 break on.
And that Witt Brake WILL fix any recoil!!!
Between the boy and I we've got 8 Witt Brakes on various rifles, some thread on's and some clamp on's Great Brakes!!

I'm thinking about rechambering a short action into 300WSM. Just talked with Steve at Hammer yesterday, asked him in the current lineup what bullet would be best for 300 WSM in a short action and he said 166HH without hesitation, and 3100 to 3200 should be achievable in a 22" barrel. How fast are you pushing them?

Also worth noting that Hammer is working on testing some higher bc bullet prototypes. Might be worthwhile to wait a month or two.
JTH
Currently pushing the magazine length 166 HH at 3175 fps out of a 24 " barrel

Recent Posts