300 win mag yote bullet

nwolf

I've been yote hunting with my 300win using 190SMKs and not doing a lot of damage. I had one sneak up on me sunday and got him head on at twenty yards. He was not even close to being slvagable. Any thoughts on a better bullet? Right now 500 yards is the extreme range of my rifle so distance performance isnt much of an issue. I loaded a slow load of 150s to try, thinking that slowing them down will allow them to hold together better and reduce the recoil enough to improve the accuracy.

I dont think there is anything I can do to stop a pass through so I am tring to get as little expansion as possible. FMJs are illegal here.

I also am hunting yotes with the win mag. I have been using 180gr remington corelokt and have good luck out to about 300yds. Past 300 yds the bullet seems to slow down enough to really start expanding and pelt carnage is the norm. Coyotes I have shot from a close one of about 20 yds out 300 seem to all show about the same damage, in small, out about the size of nickel. However shot placement is key. I hit one at 100 yds in the right shoulder blade and the bullet completely removed the left front leg upon exiting. Hitting ribs however doent seem to bother it much. A shot I made at 225 yds on a standing dog 3/4 facing me entered the front left side of his chest about 3 inches below the neck and came out just ahead of the right rear leg about the size of a quarter. Hope this helps. This is only what I have seen and YMMV.

Its pretty tough to find what Im looking for when all the bullets talk about their rapid expansion. I would like to find one that says "dont expand real good, but man they look cool".

I pick up my new .223 on tuesday but Im not really looking forward to giving up the power.

Midway has 150gn FMJ .30 bullets. I've used surplus ammo in an 06 sometimes you have a tracking job and shoulder shots make a mess but for the most part they do the job. Those bullets btw were .30 ball and I cannot read the rest of the can to give you a lot#.
LC brass is all I can remember

use a controlled expansion bullet built for big game and you wont have near the blow ups. Something along the lines of a partition or interbond, barnes TTSX.

You are shooting crickets with a cannon, it's gonna do some damage. I would suggest using barnes triple shock which won't expand as much.

I got the .223 now, nice gun. I still dont think I can give up the cricket cannon. I'll give all of your suggetions a try. I like shootin, and I like loadin. If I find the one that shoots the best with the least damage I'll let yall know.

If you're going to use a cricket cannon, might as well crank the 110gr V-max up to 3800-3900 fps and make a show of it. Surprisingly accurate out of mine though I don't shoot many to spare the barrel. Have not hit a yote with one yet but I'm sure it would be a spectacle.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.