300 win mag reloading help!

ajstew32

Hey got the my 270 wsm figured out but there is no brass so i needed something more more common. I got a weatherby vanguard in a 300 win mag. I like nosler accubonds but they didn't seem to shoot. i can't get close the lands because of the box. the 180 ttsx worked good but its effective velocity is 2000 fps so i can't poke out there very far. i tried the new 175 lrx to eliminate that but they don't seem to want to shoot either. what shout i try???? using imr 4350 and 4831

If you want to stay in the 180 grain class, then I would suggest trying the 185 Berger Hybrids or the 215 Berger Hybrids. Broz had an interesting thread going about the 215 Hybrids.

my remington 700 300 wm loves the barnes bullets, i run the 200gn lrx over 74 gn of H1000. the powders you are using a bit fast for the 300 in my opinion. they work but i have found a little slower works better.

also with 180's 71gn of rl22 works in almost any gun it is shot in.

I've recently had extremely good luck with the lrx in a 300 WM. Barnes like to jump so you can keep them at magazine length. Keep playin with it.

thanks for the advice. id like to stay away from the berger bullets if i can, i don't like how they blow up( just me personal thought and how i hunt) i shot some old loads with 150gr sierra match kings seated pretty deep and they got 3/8 inch group. but now i need a hunting round.

I've had good luck with 210g bergers. I took a moose at 250 yards and they worked perfectly. Not sure what your hunting but I plan on using those bullets for elk and deer too

For 180 grain bullets and heavier we use nothing faster than IMR7828. H1000 and Retumbo, or RL19 and RL22 have more potential. Engineering 101 uses some of the VhitaVuori series but I don't recall how well they worked. IMR 4350 & 4831 are more for 150 gr pills in the 300 WinMag.

KB

The books say that imr 4831 is the most accurate powder that barnes tested so I thought it would be fine and I had 4350 on hand too. Powder here in alberta is sparce and you can hardly find any. I would try different powder but have none to try. Also I am kinda a rookie reloader. So I am still learning, wondering why a slower powder would be better??

My load is Norma brass, 200 accubond .005 off lands, cci mag primer, h1000. .5 MOA

Works good in mine. About 2950 fps

My load is Norma brass, 200 accubond .005 off lands, cci mag primer, h1000. .5 MOA

Works good in mine. About 2950 fps

Do you mind sharing how many grains of the h1000 you are using? And is it a load that is close to max. pressure? thank you

Sure. For my rifle it is 77.5 grains of H1000. 2940 fps.

It's safe in my gun but please work up to it and double check the nosler reloading book too. The Norma brass was the game changer in two of my rifles. Really like it and more accurate for me. Good luck and be careful

Luke, thank you. Reason I asked was nosler didn't show a load for 200 gr. AB using the h-1000. They do for the 180. So was curious, as I purchased some 200 AB and was hoping to try the h-1000. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.