.300 Win Mag ammo help

ltalley06

I have recently purchased a Browning A-Bolt II and I have spent a lot of money trying to figure out the most accurate long range factory ammo that I can buy. It has the take down power for just about anything. My main issue is accuracy. It absolutely does not like the Remington 180 grain Core-Lokt ammo. It sucked at 100 yards I had an 8'' group, not good. I am just looking for the most accurate ammo I can possibly find. If you all have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

If that rifle shoots consistant 8" groups at 100 yards it probably has an issue bigger than ammo. Or you are flinching. I would be looking at the mechanics of the rifle and scope.

Loose mounts ??
bad scope.??
Damage to the crown of the muzzle.??
Loose action screws??

It may not like the Rem ammo, but nothing should shoot that bad in it.

Jeff

I completely agree with that response about looking into the mechanics. Im having some crown work and glass bedding done to my Sendero 300 win mag to tighten up the group. I also went through the same process of trying to find a good long range factory round that would work for hunting. When it came to it I just tried some Federal Fusions in 180 gr and they shoot consistently well in both my 300 win mags. The fusions are not as expensive as some other rounds, and they carry good down range power. Federal claims the fusions to be a deer hunting round but if you think about it, its a 300 win mag throwing a 180 gr bullet and 3000 fps! I think it would work just fine on any size of big game you use it on.

Jeff, I was just looking at the crown there is no visual damage. The scope is on as tight as possible. It may be me flinching, Im not quite sure. Ill cycle more through it to get used to it. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Logan

Make sure all your actions screws are torqued correctly, and even though the rings might be clamped on the scope tight... did you check your bases? Every A Bolt I've ever owned or shot would shoot under 1.5 MOA with factory ammo and 90% of them would shoot less than 1 MOA.

Also, there is the chance something in your scope broke. That would definitely throw your groups all over the place.

Jeff, I was just looking at the crown there is no visual damage. The scope is on as tight as possible. It may be me flinching, Im not quite sure. Ill cycle more through it to get used to it. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Logan
Remington Cor Lockt is pretty much scraping the bottom of factory ammo but it should shoot no worse than 2 MOA in any rifle that doesn't have a serious problem.

I'd say check to be sure you don't have loose mounts/scope, or a busted scope.

Also check to see how well or if the barrel is floated and check to make sure your mounting bolts/screws are tight and torqued properly. If the action is loose in the stock nothing you can do without fixing that issue will make it shoot well.

If all of that checks out let someone else shoot it and see if it shoots any better for them.

As for quality factory Ammo try these:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 300 Win Mag :: 300 Win Mag 180 GR InterBond® Superformance®

http://www.winchester.com/products/...ct/Pages/default.aspx?c=300+Winchester+Magnum

Remington 300 Win Mag 180 gr Premier Scirocco Bonded 20/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Logan

Logan, unless you feel pretty sure you were flinching, the next most obvious thing would be a scope with a problem inside. 8" at 100 is a huge problem somewhere. Next time you go to the range, do you have another scope to take along? It would be great to swap them out right there. I have had this before in the same hunting season, on the same hunting trip for that matter. Two broken Leupold XIII's.

I would not spend a lot of money an ammo yet. Because when you find this problem and get it fixed you will need to start ammo testing all over. We really don't have enough data t get to the bottom of it yet. But I will shoot from the hip and say scope. So take the needed tools along next trip.
Jeff

Logan

Have someone else try shooting it.

Remington Cor Lockt is pretty much scraping the bottom of factory ammo.....
...to be used for milk jugs and killing tree stumps

If you want a factory round that will flay get it done in the 300 win try the barnes vor-tx get the 165 gr ttsx-bt. If your rifle wont shoot this after barrel break in you have a real loser!gun)gun)

Flinching is bad juju! You can have the most accurately built custom rifle and ammo but will not do you no good if you flinch.

Overcome or control the flinching and the mechanics of good shooting, you'll be a better shooter, checkout Darrell Holland's article ...

The F_ _ _ _ _ Word: Flinching

A few years ago I was next to a gentleman shooting a very nice .30-06. After firing my 3 shots for each of my 3 rifles, I was waiting for him so I can safely retrieve my targets. He was very frustrated and asked me if I can help him sight his gun. I gladly obliged. It was a very nice gun (but cannot remember the make or model) and was purchased for that year's hunting season. I fired 3 shots and they grouped <1 in at 100 yards but nowhere near the bullseye. I asked him to try it again. Fired 3 shots and he was all over. However, I did noticed he was flinching, come to find out he fired almost 4 boxes already and was adjusting his scope each time.

The best advice I could give him at the time was to go home and try fresh another day.

Good luck!

I've got a 300 Win Mag in a Rem. 700 BDL. I stopped at the local Wal Mart just looking around. Most of the 300 WM shells were $35-40 a box but I noticed the Federal (blue box I think) with 180 gr. Speer Hot Core bullets were less than $17 a box. I picked up a box just to plink with. When I got to the range they shot one ragged hole out of my sporter barrel at 100 yards. I was impressed. I shot a couple of deer with them and they worked great. I went back to Wal Mart and bought all they had. I buy a box or two every time they get them in.

Just this last week I bought a Remington 700 Tactical with a threaded 20" barrel to use with a supreressor. I picked up a box of Federal Gold Metal Match with the 168 gr. SMK BTHP bullets. Same story. They shoot one hole at 100 yards thru the suppressor. Less than 1/4" center to center. I paid $22 a box. I may not even reload for this gun. Federal is doing something RIGHT.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.