300 win mag bullet help

1hornhunter

Guys,
I have been reading the threads on this site for a long time however I need some help. I recently obtained a 300 win mag and have been getting it set up over the past few months. The 300 win mag is a new caliber to me and I have a few questions. 95% of my elk/deer/bear hunting is done in the timber or places with small openings. 99% of those shots will be 250 yds and less. Sometimes I get to a cut or an opening where a person could shoot as far as he/she wants. I am looking for anyone with expierence with bullets that work both near and far. Kinda the best of both worlds. My setup is a Weatherby Vanguard 24"barrel, with a Bell and Carlson medalist stock topped with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 scope and a elevation turret. Timney trigger set at 2 pounds. As of now the 190 grain SMK's shoot great. Distance will be shooting is 0- 1000 yds.

Thanks in advance,
1hornhunter

Berger go in 2 inches and explode on impact. I killed a mule deer at 100 yards at 2890 fps with a 270 but it took me 4 shots on a pig all vitals 1 hours later because of their tougher skin and grizzle around vitals it does not get the job done on thicker skinned animals so that might worry me on a bear... Look into the barnes txs great weight retention and penetration.

^ black bear Berger's might be ur best bet for deer and elk close and far if ur dealing with brown and larger I would look into the barnes tripleshock and some of ur noslers on their site will show u what the bullet does at different speeds

Guys,
I have been reading the threads on this site for a long time however I need some help. I recently obtained a 300 win mag and have been getting it set up over the past few months. The 300 win mag is a new caliber to me and I have a few questions. 95% of my elk/deer/bear hunting is done in the timber or places with small openings. 99% of those shots will be 250 yds and less. Sometimes I get to a cut or an opening where a person could shoot as far as he/she wants. I am looking for anyone with expierence with bullets that work both near and far. Kinda the best of both worlds. My setup is a Weatherby Vanguard 24"barrel, with a Bell and Carlson medalist stock topped with a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 scope and a elevation turret. Timney trigger set at 2 pounds. As of now the 190 grain SMK's shoot great. Distance will be shooting is 0- 1000 yds.

Thanks in advance,
1hornhunter
180-200gr Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond, or Swift Sirocco II.

I've had great performance near and far with all three of the above.

The Bergers shoot really good and no doubt seem to take their share of animals. The link Broz provided you is outstanding and should answer all your questions about them.

Like you most of my shots are under 300 due to the terrain where I hunt. I have been using Barnes X bullets for several years with great results. I started with the standard X bullet and graduated to the TTSX'S when they came out. I'm currently working on a load for the new LRX. The Bergers are certainly easier to work with as far as accuracy, the Barnes can sometimes take a little work but I've always been able to get them to shoot after some load development. The new LRX has proven to be difficult but I have only had one range session with them so far. I will not hunt with a load that doesn't shoot sub MOA.

Having said all that I can tell you without doubt the Barnes kill like lightening! I have only had one not exit (have shot 30+ animals, mostly deer) and it was on a large buck quartering away. The bullet entered behind the near side shoulder and stopped in the throat area. The deer never twitched going straight to the ground with a bounce. All of the others have been a complete pass through with a massive blood trail when there was a need to follow one. I can honestly say that 90% of the animals I have shot were DRT with the Barnes.

I have done most of my damage with a 7mm mag shooting the 140gr bullets and my son has whacked numerous deer with his 260 shooting 120gr ttsx's. Last year I started shooting a Hart barreled 300 win mag with the 168gr ttsx's and it is pure poison on deer! Caliber size entrance holes and exits that average around 2", everything shot at with the 300 was DRT.

These are two completely different bullets that perform on opposite ends of the spectrum. I have found that with the Barnes that going a little lighter and a lot faster is the ticket. The Bergers seem to perform best at long range after burning off some speed. We tried the Bergers on a few doe last year because they shoot so dang good. We lost one with a very faint blood trail that I am positive was a good hit, the other two were recovered after traveling maybe 300 yards. On both deer found the bullet did not exit and the blood trail was faint. The internals were devastated leaving me and my hunting partner scratching our head about how they went that far. All three shots were under 200 yards with a 7mm mag.

With the Barnes I really like to start them out over the 3000fps mark if I can. These bullets really show off at high speeds. The wound channels left by Barnes bullets are impressive, just about everything inside within 8" of the path of the bullet is shredded or liquified. If a blood trail is necessary they are massive from an almost certain pass through.

Im in no way saying the Berger bullets are bad, I must admit that after reading the write up by Broz, I went out and bought some of the 215gr hybrids for my 300 win mag. I plan on spending the summer gathering data to give them a try this fall. The amount of game he took and the results he documented was nothing less than impressive! I just have a tremendous amount of confidence in the Barnes with their performance on game.

Kinda long winded but a slow night at work!

I have been useing Berger 185 vld's in my rem 300 win mag for years! I have had nothing but seccess with them, everything from antelope to elk. The majority of my elk and deer have been taken under 200 yards, with very few runners. If they do run it has only been about 50 yards. They are very good bullets. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts