.300 Win Mag primers not flush

HockeyDad

My first time reloading .300 win mag. Primers did not end up flush. Other calibers I've reloaded always come out flush to lightly below flush. I have a RCBS hand tool. Was using Federal large rifle mag primers 215s and the brass is once fired factory Norma. I looked at some other brand new factory Norma rounds, and the primers all seem to be flush. I tried redoing after breaking down the hand tool and reassembling again and same thing. Then I tried priming some 308 that I've always done, and they all came out flush. The 300 WM isn't protruding a whole lot, but definitely not flush. What say you?

My first time reloading .300 win mag. Primers did not end up flush. Other calibers I've reloaded always come out flush to lightly below flush. I have a RCBS hand tool. Was using Federal large rifle mag primers 215s and the brass is once fired factory Norma. I looked at some other brand new factory Norma rounds, and the primers all seem to be flush. I tried redoing after breaking down the hand tool and reassembling again and same thing. Then I tried priming some 308 that I've always done, and they all came out flush. The 300 WM isn't protruding a whole lot, but definitely not flush. What say you?
Try using a Primer Pocket Uniform Tool on the brass especially since it is once fired.

Could have to much clearance in the magnum shell holder. Priming tool should be able to seat primers below flush with any shell holder.
`

This. I have this problem with 30-06. I have 2 shell holders. I doesn't seat flush, the other seats properly. Never can remember which one to use, so I just expect to have to swap them out. I really need to mark them.

I have measured Norma cases (current sample is 30-06, 270 WSM, and 338-06) and they are the shallowest primer pockets I have encountered on any brass. My measurements show those above as right at the minimum standard spec for LR primer pockets. I have had to lightly cut all my Norma brass primer pockets down to get my primers (both F215 and CCI200) to seat at or below flush.

Recommend you get a primer pocket uniforming tool and do the same.

Good luck,
Rex

I am currently reloading Norma brass in my 300wm with 215 Federal primers and using a Frankfort primer handloader. Mine are all flush. I'm wondering if the shell holder may be the issue.
Larry

Was out shooting the other day and a friend had 30-06 that was loaded by another friend. 2 of the rounds couldn't close the bolt on, found the primers were proud a good 0.010". I seated them the rest of the way with the press after I got home. Are all you cases doing this or just a few? Another interesting find was one of the 06 cases had a vertical split in the side about 1.25" long and it had been sized and loaded. The split was squeezed tight but offset like a fault line. Told him not shooting that one. I wonder if the guy was using a progressive and just pumping them out, primer pocket had not been cleaned.

I had a priming tool that would not seat primers all the way in some brass. I had to extend the arm that pushed the seater up higher to resolve it. Since then I replaced the priming tool with the 21st century priming tool

You won't have this problem if you process all newly acquired cases with Brownells CARBIDE PRIMER POCKET UNIFORMER

Recent Posts