Primers recommendations for 300 Win Mag

Thanks for all the replies, I was just looking at the MK 248 Mod 1 load and noticed they use a Fed 210 Match with a very heavy dose of H1000 with the 220 MK. I bet it's just to keep the pressure down a tad.

I normally use magnum primers in Magnum rifles, but since this is such a heavy load......I don't think I will duplicate it at that levels.

Thanks again

Thanks for all the replies, I was just looking at the MK 248 Mod 1 load and noticed they use a Fed 210 Match with a very heavy dose of H1000 with the 220 MK. I bet it's just to keep the pressure down a tad.

I normally use magnum primers in Magnum rifles, but since this is such a heavy load......I don't think I will duplicate it at that levels.

Thanks again
With such a slow powder and with the amount of powder being used I highly doubt a Magnum primer will add any significant pressure to the load, especially if you don't load the bullet right up against the lands. It will however insure a complete and clean burn so I would use a Magnum primers in loads of that type.

If I read that load correctly it's 75.7gr H1000 and Hodgdon lists a Max charge of H1000 under a 220gr bullet @78.0gr with a Win LRM primer. According to that data you can safely use a magnum primer. (I would)

Thanks for reply

I have some FC 12 brass once fired MK 248 Mod 1 ........and I can' t even use them because the primer pocket won't even keep the primer in.

Money wasted.

Their load was around 76.5 to 77.0 of H1000 with the 220 MK and FC 210 primers

Very Hot

Thanks for reply

I have some FC 12 brass once fired MK 248 Mod 1 ........and I can' t even use them because the primer pocket won't even keep the primer in.

Money wasted.

Their load was around 76.5 to 77.0 of H1000 with the 220 MK and FC 210 primers

Very Hot
Yes, that is a hot load but it's still not over what Hodgdon lists as the Max charge in that application but as we all know, it might be too hot in any rifle other than the test barrel they used!

Weird the powder companies usually low ball their data...................

I am going to try 76.0 I noticed Sierra Manual suggest 75.5 of H1000 with a mag primer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.