300 win mag hard bolt close

Mooseknuckles

hey guys just wonder if i can get a little help here.
i just loaded up some 300 win mag for my sako l691 and my remington 700 sendero. i am using the same load in both rifles, 70.5 grains of h4831, 200 grain accubond seated at 3.400. they camber fine in my sako 300 win mag but in the sendro the bolt is hard to close when chambering a round. there is no rifleing marks on the bullet but did notice a shined up spot on the bottom of the shoulder. what could cause this? i am pretty new to reloading. any help would be great. thanks.

My guess is that you are mixing brass between the two and that is good. Most rifles with fire formed brass need to stay with that rifle. I had 2 220 swifts with the same issue. I had separate lots with remington and winchester brass. Kept them separate.

Sorry I forgot the word NOT before the word GOOD. Duh.

Yeah, you usually can't share brass. You would think all chambers should be alike, but they are not.

Oh and it might not be a good idea to share the same ammo. If the new rifle has a shorter throat etc and tighter chamber, as indicated, you could have a high pressure node that is bad for the new rifle. I have to go up to 2 grains lighter in a couple of 300 WM in model 70 Winchesters. They both shot well but due to differences in chambers I kept getting pressure in one with same loads. I just scrapped the lot and started over with OAL etc and built loads for each rifle.

i kinda figured thats what you ment. well the sendro is not finished yet still need optics. i will just lable this load for the sako. i hae some 210 bergers i will load up for the sendero and see if i can find some new brass to start loads with. thank you for you advice greatly appericated!

We've shot multiple rifles of the same caliber for years. Brent is correct that for best performance you should separate loads for the rifles; but that isn't always feasible in the field and other times like now when you can't find brass to save your life.
What you need to do if you want your ammo to fit both rifles is to back up your sizer a bit so the casings fit your remmy too. Then you need to back your load off a bit and prove it in your remmy; also shoot the loads with the new headspace dimension in your sako to make sure nothing has gone buggy. Check your brass growth in the sako, and if you're still at a few thou. or less you are still fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.