300 Win mag Bullet

Finally getting a reloader and starting up a load for my 300 win mag. Mostly deer size at ranges from 20 yards to as far as I am comfortable with practice. Was leaning toward the Berger 215's. Now with the Hornady's out a while are they worth the hype? Elk sized game is not out of the question as I hope to do a western hunt in the next year or so.

You are on the right track. The 215 Berger is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to a 300 win mag and killing game. Especially elk. Four years ago at the beginning of our season I started this thread. GO HERE TO READ. There are over 20 big game kills from one season documented in the thread. With actual field data aimed at letting you see for yourself how they perform. Then ultimately decide for yourself if they preform as you wish your hunting bullet to preform. Since that time I have built, developed and hunted with several other rifles. But the same or 300 win mag with the same ole 215 is ready to go if needed. That rifle now sits at 34 and zero for one shot kills from just under 200 yards to close to 1300. The 215 shoots well for me from a 1 in 10 twist barrel and standard throats like found in many factory offerings today. Berger now recommends a 9 twist but this hasn't stopped the 10's of thousands of 10 twist rifle from shooting them well to well beyond a mile. If you intend to stretch your 300 win out to longer distances, want insured expansion at those slowed velocities, and want to take advantage of a bullet that will give you the best results when it comes to less wind drift, the 215 is going to be hard to beat. We are blessed to have many choices today. In the end we all need to use what we trust the most. I trust and use what I do from my personal experiences in the field. 70+ elk dead last year. The only problems we had were with the ones shot with the so called "Premium Hunting Bullets" The rest fell where they were shot with what I prefer to call " Premium Killing Bullets" But some may refer to them as "fancy smancy long range junk" LMAO, meanwhile these bullet are filling freezers in elk country faster than Killary can delete an email. The only ones complaining are the skinny coyotes. Because now they only get a gut pile instead of a complete elk with a small pass through hole in it. :D

Do your own research. Choose what you want in terminal performance for a bullet. Understand how your choice works and how it does not. Then use it to your best advantage to stack the odds for you. There is no perfect bullet for all scenarios, but there are choices that will work best for your personal needs.

Jeff

I run the 185 berger in my 300wm. Both the hunting vld and the classic hunter. Both excellent bullets.

Matt

You could also have two loads so you do not have to give anything up at any range.

Yup. Two bullets for the two extremely differing applications of use which have always posed a severe test and challenge to any single bullet. Some bullets perform well under both applications, and manufacturers continue to pursue the one-size-fits-all applications bullet. I think some bullets still perform better - posing a lesser risk of total failure - when selected and used solely for each of the two extremely differing applications.

Select and use one bullet from the muzzle to shorter ranges where 1 to 1.5 moa accuracy is completely sufficient. This bullet will be designed to expand, yet ensure some portion of bullet mass is retained to ensure penetration at high velocity impacts.

Select and use the second bullet for shots out on the horizon - emphasis on accuracy, high BC value, and certain & reliable expansion at much lower impact velocity.

Then sleep well...

After following reports from Broz for a few years and seeing for myself I am not sure why you would chose anything other than the 215 Berger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.