300 Win mag Bullet

StrutNut

Finally getting a reloader and starting up a load for my 300 win mag. Mostly deer size at ranges from 20 yards to as far as I am comfortable with practice. Was leaning toward the Berger 215's. Now with the Hornady's out a while are they worth the hype? Elk sized game is not out of the question as I hope to do a western hunt in the next year or so.

Last edited:
How far are you comfortable with shooting an animal? If it's only 500 yards with a majority of your shots under that, then I would go with a more traditional hunting bullet such as an AccuBond, Hornady Interlock or Interbond, or a Sierra GameKing. These will carry plenty of energy even out to longer ranges, but will not come apart completely such as a Berger or ELD-X at closer ranges.

You could also have two loads so you do not have to give anything up at any range. Such as a Partition or solid bullet for shots under 300 yards, then the Berger or ELD-X for the shots beyond that.

I'd look heavily at a 215 Berger with H-1000 and stock up an 8 pound jug and 500 bullets. That will satisfy everything your rig will handle. There is also merit in investigating other options, in the event either becomes scarce. If it were me, IMR 7977 or R-26 would get a long look with a 200 / 220g Nosler Partition. The good news is you have a lot of good choices and the 300 win mag is relatively easy to find MOA or better accuracy with. Have fun, be safe

At this point I see nothing out there I like for all ranges than a 215 Berger, the ELD's need a little more time but there looking more explosive up close than a Berger, seen a lot of elk guys change from Accubonds to the 215 Berger, very hard to beat!!

I am leaning toward the Berger. Shots can easily be beyond 500 although at this point that as far as I had the chance to shoot. Hopefully joining a range soon that I can stretch things out farther. Great advice, I know those accubonds are also very good too.

Stick with two time tested bullets, you can't go wrong no matter which you choose, the 180 grain Partition or the 180 Barnes TSX...both will never fail no matter what the distance is, 20-500... Never mind all these fancy smancy long range junk that won't stabilize in most off the rack twist and throats...check Midways clearance, you can pick blems of these up much cheaper than you think.

Stick with two time tested bullets, you can't go wrong no matter which you choose, the 180 grain Partition or the 180 Barnes TSX...both will never fail no matter what the distance is, 20-500... Never mind all these fancy smancy long range junk that won't stabilize in most off the rack twist and throats...check Midways clearance, you can pick blems of these up much cheaper than you think.

Seen both fail on elk inside 100 yards, multiple times, so much for never failing:rolleyes:

Seen both fail on elk inside 100 yards, multiple times, so much for never failing:rolleyes:

I agree never say never but I'd be willing to bet anything the Partition has many, many times less failures than the so called Fancy smancy LR bullets inside of 100 yards.

The Partition is an awesome hunting bullet.

I'd have to be there to believe you saw either fail multiple times under 100 yards...I've seen railroad cars full of game harvested with both and never heard of any failures, how could an x-bullet fail, there's nothing to separate? I've see 500+ plus black bears hit square on the shoulder with a partition and come out the other side..may be your thinking abboout ballistic tips, I'd never believe that based on what I've seen in 50 years of watching.

Our 181g Hammer Hunter is designed for exactly what you are talking about. They are very forgiving to load develop and accuracy is very good. Pure copper no lead. They are physically the size of a conventional 200g bullet. They will not have any trouble with high vel impacts and open easily down to 1800fps. They retain 70%-80% on high or low velocity impacts. In my opinion a perfect match for the 300wm. Will give high velocity for great point blank range and have enough bc to get you out to fairly long range.

Steve

I had heard from a reputable acquaintance of an older 180X from a 300 mag failing on a close range elk. It hit "keyholed". I spoke with a Barnes tech ( way back in the 90's) and his opinion was that a long bullet ( of any make) hasn't "settled down" yet, under 100yds for sure. It leaves the bore "slightly yawed" ( like an arrow from a bow) and this "may" have caused it. OK, good theory...fast forward to 2007, I was using the 100TSX from a 257 Weatherby, it was humming too. I shot a Black Hawaian ram around 80yds but the brush deflected it a bit, and he got up and was moving off. I circled around said brush and got a 50yd broadside shot. Bingo, it killed him, but my entrance hole was a fine "keyhole". So I believe it. This load shot bugholes off the bench at 100. So, for myself, I think these up close "failures" have more to do with length/stability,etc than the actual design. Just a thought. BTW, I still use both Partitions and Barnes ( and will use the 358 Hammer soon!) I did use the 300 winmags for small Texas hill country deer with the Sierra 150 Pro Hunter. (They came in Federal Blue Box factory loads!) I wanted a "bomb"...what I got was perfect, Partition-Like performance! It amazed me. So, for deer, that's a good bullet too! Have fun though, enjoy yourself out there!

I'd have to be there to believe you saw either fail multiple times under 100 yards...I've seen railroad cars full of game harvested with both and never heard of any failures, how could an x-bullet fail, there's nothing to separate? I've see 500+ plus black bears hit square on the shoulder with a partition and come out the other side..may be your thinking abboout ballistic tips, I'd never believe that based on what I've seen in 50 years of watching.

I quite shooting elk with them years ago, a bunch of us did, inside of a few minutes I saw two elk with broken shoulders an no pentration into the chest, I've watched elk stand there for 45 minutes with a hole through both lungs barely amounted to more than a bruise. Since switching to real bullets I have yet to shoot an elk twice with exception of when I shot another coper brand then I was back to small wound channels and bullets deflecting. I live in major elk country, the local gun shop has a row of Barnes about two feet across of single boxes with dust on them, there is a row of Bergers 10 ft long stacked up and stacked deep and you'd better get your bullets fast.
I don't think I know anyone still shooting partitions or Barnes! Think I'll stick with my fancy bullets, I have to shoot less of them to get animals dead!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.