300 WIN MAG, and RL17 ?????

7stw

Any body have experience with RL17, and 300 WIN Mag? I just picked up a 700p in this caliber. I have the usual RL 22' and 19 in stock, but I also have a fair stock of 17' and decided to give it a try. I was shooting 168 and 175 SMK's and the load was at about 71.2 grains and 215 GM primers. Accuracy was shocking as compared to the other loads which were very good as well. I guess the question is, is RL 17 a good powder to stay with, or is it too much on the edge, given it's burn rate? Thoughts?

I just recently worked up some loads in my 7 RM which is a little more overbore than the 300 WM. I did Retumbo and RL17 with a box of Nosler 160 AB's I had laying around. With 63 gr of RL17 (about 85% capacity), I was able to get about 3160 fps and with 72 gr of Retumbo, about 3100. my previous load of IMR 4831 was good for about 3000 fps. This was out of a 24" barrel. It also gave great velocities in my 300 WSM with 180 and 210 gr bullets.

I think the 300 WM would be a good candidate for RL17.

I just recently worked up some loads in my 7 RM which is a little more overbore than the 300 WM. I did Retumbo and RL17 with a box of Nosler 160 AB's I had laying around. With 63 gr of RL17 (about 85% capacity), I was able to get about 3160 fps and with 72 gr of Retumbo, about 3100. my previous load of IMR 4831 was good for about 3000 fps. This was out of a 24" barrel. It also gave great velocities in my 300 WSM with 180 and 210 gr bullets.

I think the 300 WM would be a good candidate for RL17.

Mark, another thing I noticed, as well as the accuracy, was the case necks were very clean, in side and out. I mean to to tell, the accuracy was like the accuracy level of my 308 VSSF. I haven't fooled around with the RL17 in the bigger stuff, as I bought it for my 25-06' and 280. I can see where it would be good in a seven mag with a 24 inch barrel. I may try it in mine too. I know this stuff is suppose to be THEE powder for the WSM,s.

In my 25-06 I am getting close to 3400 fps with 54.5 gr pushing 115 CT Ballistic Silvertips. I was getting 3400 + with 55 gr but backed off a half a grain. That was in a Sendero and accuracy was a consistent sub .5 MOA with some 2's and 3's. Accuracy varies from rifle to rifle but RL17 has great accuracy potential.

I'm guessing you will see max loads with about 90-95% case capacity in the 300 WM. I would try 180 gr and heavier bullets. The Berger 215 Hybrid would probably work well.

Found this old thread...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/reloader-17-300-win-mag-75105/

if your not getting pressure signs, getting good velocity and accuracy was so good as to be called shocking id say you have yourself a good load there. Why NOT use it!!!

Any body have experience with RL17, and 300 WIN Mag? I just picked up a 700p in this caliber. I have the usual RL 22' and 19 in stock, but I also have a fair stock of 17' and decided to give it a try. I was shooting 168 and 175 SMK's and the load was at about 71.2 grains and 215 GM primers. Accuracy was shocking as compared to the other loads which were very good as well. I guess the question is, is RL 17 a good powder to stay with, or is it too much on the edge, given it's burn rate? Thoughts?

It's powder I use 270WSM,300WSM and few others. I started shooting it when it first came out and I shot it full year in the 270WSM see how it handle the temp here Co most of my shooting is above 5K.

If it shoot good all the distance you like be a good powder to use.

if your not getting pressure signs, getting good velocity and accuracy was so good as to be called shocking id say you have yourself a good load there. Why NOT use it!!!

Lloydsmale, my brass looked good, ejection was effortless. This is my first experience with this powder, in a magnum configuration. I did hear about, and read about a few folks that have used it, but wasn't sure what the outcome actually was. I haven't chronographed anything with this rifle yet, as I just picked it up last weekend. I have another 700 P in seven mag, that shoots out lites, looks like maybe this one will too.
I was just looking for input on other folks experiences, and some load info that has worked for them as well. So far, this stuff sounds and seems promising. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.