300 Win Mag and Magpro

I am loading 180 grain CE bullets tonight and am shooting those in the morning. They are monometal like the Barnes so I assume the load data would be very similar.

I do not know how temp stable the magpro is. We have taken a number of animals with magpro in the 257 wby to 600 yardsbut I keep all my bullets the same temperature during hunting so wouldn't know.

I am confident this powder will be great in my 264 winchester but have not tried it yet. It does wonders in the 257 wby which is virually the same size case and .007caliber difference. We shoot amazing groups at 3760 fps with magpro and 100 grain ttsx in the 257 wby.

I will report after I shoot in the morning.

Sounds promising for the 300WM & 175LRX.
By what you are saying for the 100 in the 257, it should be similar for the 120 GMX in the 264.

Thanks

OK, Hope your sitting down. My second one in a million rifle. These are the actual numbers shot this morning. These groups were shot in the middle of testing several rifles and all the other numbers were acurate so I know these are.

87 grains Magpro with the 180 grain Cutting Edge C21 bullet shot a three shot average of 3376 fps out of my standard tikka t-3 light 24" barrel. Group was 1.36" at 400 yards with four fps spread.

87 grains magpro with the 180 grain C32 bullet averaged 3361 fps with a 2.42" 400 yard group.

87.5 grains magpro with the C21 bullet averaged 3409 fps with a 2.28" group.

All bullets were loaded to the recomended seating depth. 1.034" plus case length for the C21 and .984" plus case length for the C32.

No pressure signs with any of these loads. Accurate web site lists 85.5 grains and I found this to be a light load in this rifle.

This is nearly 200 fps faster than I have ever shot my other three 300 win mags accurately and safely. This is just like my oddball 300 wby that shoots crazy like this. So two rifles in over 40 years of building guns that make no sense. But the good thing is they make no sense in the right direction. One of the forum members is coming over to shoot with me this week and I will let him come on here and verify it. I have been on this forum for ten years and everyone knows I just write down the numbers. I was hesitant to put this on here but decided to and see if anyone has any idea what would make a rifle shoot like this.

Last edited:
Unreal velocities! The CE bullet design with the gas sealing ridges is supposed to increase velocity because of less bullet surface to bore friction - if I recall correctly. But I didn't think this much. I'm envious...

The accuracy you're getting is also consistently good. In some cases from a factory rifle. What, if anything, have you done to modify this Tikka T3? Or is it plain-Jane factory?

What brand and model chronograph are you using. Your ESs seem exceptionally low also. I wonder if this has something to do with the bullet design too? The gas sealing bands that engage the rifling, rather than the entire length of the bullet engraving into the lands of the rifling - as is the case on the typical jacketed bullet design.

Now I'm really eager to see how these CE bullets expand on game.

Last edited:
LT, that is amazing!! I have a Lam. stock 26" Sendero 300WM that really shoots for a factory tube, but is not real fast. I have worked up a good load with a 180BT @ 3140. If I could get 3250 with Magpro and a 180 or 175LRX I would be very pleased.

Believe me, this is the craziest thing I have seen in all my years. It is the combination of more velocity from the bullets plus just a way abnormal rifle to begin with. My first magnum rifle was a 300 winchester in 1969 or so when I jumped from the '06. I know 300 winchesters. This one is just crazy fast like my 300 wby that thinks it is a 300 RUM.

I have done nothing to the Tikka but free float the barrel and adjust the trigger. It will shoot a caribou. I am glad to have five tags this year. To much stuff got to be tested. But them I can shoot a bunch of stuff down here also. If these bullets test out on game I have got two hammers in the little tikka 338 SIN and this baby.

When the first velocity came up I didn't even write it down to start with knowing it was just an abnormality you get sometimes with chrono's. I never for a second thought it was real. Never even considered the first one. Then the next number was about the same and I checked the chrono about ten times to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. I had been shooting other rifles through it and they were right on. Then shot more after it right on. Considering the small spreads there is no doubt the rifle is shooting these numbers. I just have a winner I guess. the great thing is whatever is wrong with the rifle causing this gives extreme accuracy also. I just have a dream rifle here I think. Honestly, I can't hold any better than 1.5" at 400 yards with a light rifle so I must have pulled a couple into the group. The best 400 yard group had three in about 1/2" hole to hole not centers. Then one just left and one just right to make the 1.36" or whatever it was.

Last edited:
Shot this rifle again yesterday morning and the velocity is 3375 fps with the CE C21 180 grain bullet. Shot some groups adjusting the BR reticle on the swarovski scope. Shot a 2.2" group at 456 yards, 4.3" group at 640 yards and 8.6" group at 912 yards. This rifle is an amazing shooter for an off the shelf light rifle. I bought it as an afterthought at Cabelas. It was some kind of special sale at Cabelas and then some other discounts of some sort and the final price ended up right at $400 so I bought it not really in the market for one. It was the last one they had at the special price so I got it. I thought I would get it out and try it with the new bullets and find that it is one of the best rifles I own.

The listed 85.5 grains on the accurate website up to 87 grains shoots very well in this rifle. With new loads I think 85 grains would be a starting point and work up. I am ending up at 86.5 grains in this rifle with best accuracy. I don't know what is causing the insane velocities with this rifle but I am not arguing with it. Something is causing it to shoot about 200 fps faster than it should be.

LT, Thanks for the follow up. I was just looking at their website for CE bullets. It appears that they are a little technical for reloading in conjunction with COAL. What has your experience/procedure been with loading them? Are you able to load them and have a repeater with your Tikka?

I am happy for you and your experience with your new found friend(rifle). This post has breathed new life and hope for my 300 winny. I love my rifle but was a little depressed with the velocities I was getting out of it with 4831. The magpro looks like a good bet for some added velocity. Their online manual looks like the Magpor can add almost 200 FPS over what I was getting with 4831. This has the potential to make an entirely different rifle out of the one I have. Optimistic.

Thanks for the follow-up and confirmation LTLR. I really like both of my Tikka T3s, but neither of them is the hyper-fueled Dragster that you've lucked into. Sounds like you're more than prepared for the caribou hunt.

Hope all goes well, and will be looking forward to hearing how you like the performance of the CE bullets on some large game animals.

Pretty sure I've got a can of MagPro somewhere in the reloading room. I'll have to dig around and mate it up with some of these bullets - but I won't have the time until after this sheep/caribou hunting season. So I might as well wait until you drill a couple animals with the CE bullets...

I am loading mine in this 300 exactly as stated under c21 180 grain bullet data. coal is exactly as stated for the bullet. It will not be a repeater with these bullets. They are very long streamlined high bc bullets. Use these for first shot long range as I do and have quick repeater bullets of some kind in the magazine.

Good luck on your sheep/caribou. Leaving this weekend and will report back with results late September. Going to do 3 1/2 weeks with my son backpacking/photography/fishing then he flies back for college and I start hunting.

Found this thread after I just got a new rifle, decided to reload and could only find, Magpro powder. I seemed to have similar abnormally high velocity numbers as well. My load was with WLRM primers, 83.5gr magpro, 180gr accubond, out of a 26" browning x bolt. I was consistently getting velocity in excess of 3300fps, I am relatively new to this, so not sure if I should be happy or scared? Max load was listed at 85.5gr on western's web site. It was windy so, I could not gage groupings, and it is a new rifle previously only firing a box of David tubs final finish. Any help or advice would be welcome, I did not see any pressure signs with this load. Going to back off to 82gr and go back tomorrow for accuracy check...Less wind.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.