300 wsm, 165 accubond and Rl17

My advice is to start around 63grs and work your way up.I recently tested some Reloader-17 with 165gr bullets.I started three grains below Alliant's max of 68grs.65.0 grains gave me 3155fps and 66.0grs gave me 3228fps.I never shot any of my higher charges because my groups opened way up (2" and 4") on these loads and I really didn't see them getting better if I did.The scary thing is I saw no pressure signs,but my groups and velocities was telling me to quit testing right there.I might test some more with Reloader-17,but it will be in the 63-64gr range.Rule to remember"EVERY RIFLE IS DIFFERENT"!!!!!

Re: 300 wsm, 168 gr Barnes TTX

300WSMtarget.jpg
[/IMG]this is why I shoot Barnes. The Cold Bore shot is the high one the other 4 are touching
pruneemac

Last edited:
So your loading them close to lands. I will try that, have been having trouble getting barnes to shoot in my savage. Barnes says to start @ 50 off the lands.
I am in Cali. & I hunt one of the condor areas. I have ttsx 168 & rl17 that I want to try. Also ttsx 130 ( maybe not a long enough) that I am going to try also. Anyone try 130 ttsx in a 300 wsm. Thanks all

seating depth

Im in CA also, but you misunderstood. Barnes suggests starting 5/1000ths off lands. we have found that seating depth is a huge factor in good groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.