300 RUM vs. 338 win mag

The 300 RUM was designed and built as a long range rifle to top the 300 Weatherby and was the top factory load till the 30-378 Weatherby hit the market. In 1958 Winchester came up with cartridges to hunt about any animal with in a 30-06 length action Mag Cartridge. First was the 458 Win. Mag. Then the same cartridge case sized to, 338 WM 1958, 264 WM in 1958. The 338 was designed to duplicate the old 333 OKH wildcat developed by Elmer Keith a popular gun writer of that time. To him the 338 should only be used with 250 gr. or better. Winchester came out with ammo in 200 and 250 gr. loads. Then when Nosler made a 225 gr. Partition and other bullet companies came out with 225 gr. they found the 338 WM with 225 was a great Med Range cartridge. Delivering more power than the old 375 HH at 400 yards. I have shot through the shoulder ribs, chest and rib on other side and into Ontario bush with a 225 Nosler Part.

When Remington went from 721-722 to the 700 about 1962 is when the 7mm Rem Mag. came on the scene.
I hate to bash your timeline but the 30-378 Wby (1996) was out before the 300rum (1999).

It's simple, if planning beyond 300 yards, go 300 RUM or one of the "larger" 30 cals.

If set on a 338 for long range then 338 RUM, 338 Edge, 338-378 Wby 338 Norma, 338/26-Nosler or 338/375 Ruger.

If closer range, the 338WM is wonderful. I rechambered my 338WM Weatherby Mark to 338/26-Nosler but I played with the 338WM for a bit. Couple hundred rounds.

Since I got divorced I don'tgun)

L:DL! I just celebrated my 34 wedding anniversary. I've told my wife that "if" we ever get divorced, I will never re-marry, will buy/build more guns, will get another dog, will live up in the mountains, etc ...

She said "Am I that bad?", I simply responded "Nope, I just want to treat myself!". :rolleyes::):cool:

Ed

I have both and have taken moose with both of them.At the ranges they were made for they both do their jobs.Never had to go looking for anything hit with either one.

L:DL! I just celebrated my 34 wedding anniversary. I've told my wife that "if" we ever get divorced, I will never re-marry, will buy/build more guns, will get another dog, will live up in the mountains, etc ...

She said "Am I that bad?", I simply responded "Nope, I just want to treat myself!". :rolleyes::):cool:

Ed
Good answer ED!!!
My wife will ask me loaded questions, and my answers is.... "They broke the mould when they made you, and I'll never be satisfied with any other...
Now, can I buy that scope that's on sale, please"..

Good answer ED!!!
My wife will ask me loaded questions, and my answers is.... "They broke the mould when they made you, and I'll never be satisfied with any other...
Now, can I buy that scope that's on sale, please"..

L:DL! I just buy my gift and she does the same ... I have to admit though, I am worst than her. :)

Ed

"Justify both??? Do you even rifle bro? " BAHHAA! That's awesome.

As far as the question at hand... why not combine the two for a .338 RUM?
It beats both in almost every category. Its my go-to rifle for big stuff. That being said I still plan to get a 300 RUM one day. They are also very impressive and a little easier to shoot.

They still make one factory offering I think which is the Remington XCR II.

I've got both... Actually two 300 rum rifles and a 338win.
The 338 seems much like a '06 firing a lot heavier bullets.
The paper ballistics lie a bit. I use my 338win for a mid range rifle and my 300rum for longer range rig.

The 300rum seems to be a lot better at putting lead on target when the range stretches a bit. Either will hit very hard and kill most anything in the lower 48, but you need to step up to the bigger 338's to get similar downrange as the 300rum. Much of the difference is wind-bucking ability and time of flite I suppose...

Agreed. I have both rifles. 300 RUM tracks better at long range. 338 win hits like a truck at 300, but I found it is hard to track when adjusting. It's weight is great, but to get a good high BC bullet like Berger in there, to get it close enough to the lands to make accuracy worth while you end up with a single shot. Also, at 300 grain the 338 is getting pretty slow. At 225 the RUM's 230s push harder, and have a better BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.