30-338 vs 300 Win Mag

Old Coach

I need feedback on these 2 rounds.
I am going to have a rifle rebarreled to one or the other and need to get all the info I can on both rds.
Rifle will be used for deer and hogs up to 600 yds.

THANKS
Coach

300 Win Mag. Factory ammo readily availible if you don't reload, and the 300 Win Mag is more than enough cartridge for what you are looking for.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as trueblue, although I'm looking at hunting different sheep (up to the larger animals) in a variety of places.

I have no doubt the 300WM will get out there (done it before on deer), but am more concerned about the difference in bullet drop out to 600 and the need for quick range-zero-fire...

All thoughts and comments greatly appreciated!

the original 30-338 was designed to be 300 win mag capicity with longer neck for 1000 yard NRA shooters. So no MV advantage and fireforming involved which can be a pain at times.

Now if you are talking necking down the 338 Lapua, whole nuther story.

But for what you want either the standard 300 win mag or even the 300 WSM will more than suffice.

BH

I have two (almost) identical rifles; one is a 30-338, and the other is a 300 Win. THey both shoot the same for accuracy and trajectory. I (slightly) prefer the 30-338 because it fits a 3.400" action, whereas the 300 Win. needs a 3.600" action. Plus, I enjoy necking down W-W 338 casings in my Redding bushing die.

Oh, and both of my rifles are 12 twist (one a Krieger, the other a Bartlien)

Well, there is one more things to consider at this point: readily available ammo

God forbid, but if the airlines at the last minute decides it does not want you flying with ammo (it happens, trust me, on more than one occassion), then you're up a certain creek, with no paddle...

With the 300WM you can go to the local store and buy whatever they have, in one case, sitting next to the frozen foods... no kidding, in Hungary). With anything more exotic (even the .30-338) you're out of luck and probably a whole lot of $$$, sitting in a foreign land and no gun to shoot with.

But this is probably a minor issue for most. Have not looked at the 300rum or the 338Rum, but will definitely look into it.

Thanks all!

They are ballistically about the same but the guys I did the 30-338's for liked the shorter version so when they seated bullets out to the lands they had plenty of magazine for that. Both are very accurate. The 30-338 is very close to the 308 Norma which is also a good one..

The 300 Win mag has a slightly longer case body (2.196) compaired
to the 30/338 (2.085) giving it a slight case capicity advantage.

The 30/338 does have a longer neck than the 300 Win mag and is preferred
by most long range shooters.

They are very accurate but so is the 300 Win mag so that makes the Win Mag
a better choice because of ammo availability.

If your looking for more than the Win Mag then move up to the 300RUM or
the 30/378 Weatherby.

Ammo is available for both of these with out having to reload.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.