300 RUM recoil?

I fought the break for a long time on my 30-338 Lap imp. Because of the noise issue. After all it was a hunting rifle. The longer I stretched the shots the more often I got scoped shooting prone. There was just no way I could relax enough on the rifle to shoot long and keep good groups. I just finally got tired of getting beat up. I would have to mentally prepare for the hit I was about to take so that I could get a clean break on the trigger. It dawned on me one day that the rifles are all too loud to shoot without hearing protection. I now hunt with earplugs always. With the break installed I always make sure that hunting partners that are off to the side are prepared for the shot.

I installed one of Kirby's pain killer breaks. Works great. I haven't gotten a scope in the eye since. And I am a free recoil shooter.

Steve

Anyway, I think suppressors are the way to go and I love my RUM. Whats your total barrel length with the suppressor? I currently am at about 30 inches with a 28" barrel and a Vais break.

Barrelnut

My barrel is 34.75" with the suppressor. I am using a Thunderbeast CB9, however, it is a discontinued model. It is 9" long and screws over a muzzle brake.

Thunderbeast came out with a new line called "Ultra". These are lighter and shorter. I have 3 suppressors; Thunderbeast, YHM and AAC. The Thunderbeast and YHM are 30 cal and the AAC is a 338 (Titanium QD). The issue with suppressors is it can change your point of impact. I don't mean the point of impact at 100 yards between a braked rifle and the same rifle with a suppressor. Of course that will happen. I find that to be about 1.5" to 2.0". The REALLY important issue is that taking the suppressor off and then putting it back on can change the point of impact between shooting the rifle with the suppressor installed IF you are not careful. To repeat zero, I always make sure I start threading on the suppressor from the same position (e.g. I mark the suppressor and always start threading it with the mark at 12 O'Clock).

I find the Thunderbeast to be the best at both repeating zero and keeping the threads that attach the suppressor to the brake clean. I have to work a bit harder with the AAC to keep the threads clean but do not have a problem with repeating zero (if it is kept clean) and would purchase that product again.

When I first bought the YHM and Thunderbeast, the manufacturers said that the product could handle cases with capacities up to 300 WM. I spoke to the engineers at both YHM and Thunderbeast, both assured me that their products could handle a 300 RUM.

Since I started shooting my 300 RUM and 338 LM rifles suppressed, my goal is to have suppressors for all my rifles (Assault, Hunting and Long Range) for exactly the reason you mentioned in your thread. I take my three kids hunting and I don't want them to damage their hearing.

Thank you for your replies. The rifle is an 8# Remington 700 synthetic stock with a 26" barrel. That's all I know at the moment. The rifle should be here Wednesday. I have decided prior to adding a muscle brake Im going to add a mercury recoil reducer to the stock and replace the recoil pad with a Limbsaver pad

If you want to spot your shots you will need a muzzle brake unless its a seriously heavy rig.

All muzzle brakes require hearing protection, it should also be worn with suppressed supersonic rifles.

A decent muzzle brake will tame the 300 Rum down to sub .243 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't use hearing protection with most of my suppressed, supersonic rifles. You must be referring to large, magnum cal rifles.

I was referring to magnum cal rifles. I shoot 270 WSM, 300 RUM and 338 LM supressed. When I am shooting a large number of rounds with these rifles at the range, I use (and make my kids use) earplugs just to be on the safe side. However, we go without earplugs when we are hunting. No point in ear protection if you are only shooting one or two shots AND the rifle is suppressed.

No point in ear protection if you are only shooting one or two shots AND the rifle is suppressed.

Just thought I would pass this along to all.

While testing muzzle brakes, we tested with and without a brake. We also tested for DBs of sound.
We tested everything from .223 to 50 cal and the DB levels never dropped below 104 DB on any thing.

Hearing damage can occur at anything over 85 DB, So "one" shot at 104 to 108 DB can cause permanent hearing protection.

The bad thing about hearing loss is once you loose it you cant get it back.

So please wear hearing protection when shooting/hunting anything bigger than a 22 RF and save your hearing.

J E CUSTOM

Just thought I would pass this along to all.

While testing muzzle brakes, we tested with and without a brake. We also tested for DBs of sound.
We tested everything from .223 to 50 cal and the DB levels never dropped below 104 DB on any thing.

Hearing damage can occur at anything over 85 DB, So "one" shot at 104 to 108 DB can cause permanent hearing protection.

The bad thing about hearing loss is once you loose it you cant get it back.

So please wear hearing protection when shooting/hunting anything bigger than a 22 RF and save your hearing.

J E CUSTOM

My original post was unclear and I apologize. I only hunt without hearing protection IF my rifle is suppressed. I did damage my hearing by shooting a mule deer with a 300 RUM that had only a muzzle break. My hearing protection fell off just as I saw the deer and I chose to take the shot rather than fixing my hearing protection and risk missing the shot. I wish I could get the hearing back in my left ear but as you said above, once it is gone you cannot get it back. That is why I am gradually putting suppressors on all of my rifles.

My original post was unclear and I apologize. I only hunt without hearing protection IF my rifle is suppressed. I did damage my hearing by shooting a mule deer with a 300 RUM that had only a muzzle break. My hearing protection fell off just as I saw the deer and I chose to take the shot rather than fixing my hearing protection and risk missing the shot. I wish I could get the hearing back in my left ear but as you said above, once it is gone you cannot get it back. That is why I am gradually putting suppressors on all of my rifles.

How was your rum with a suppressor? I have one on order for the rum and hoping it tames a fair amount of recoil as well as the noise.

Guys just how bad is it? Still on the fence vs 300 win..I have a chance to get a RUM cheap...even when considering the cost of feeding it. ..
but I've heard some guys say it's rough..others not so bad
This should help give some perspective. As far as recoil is concerned I cannot tell the difference between my unbraked 7mm Weatherby and my RUM with a brake. However, there is much more blast with the RUM. As far as blast goes it sits about halfway between the 7MM and a 30-378. Blast from the 30-378 I had would blow your hat off shooting it. It was intimidating to say the least. Never did really get used to it, but I did the RUM. It's one of my favorite cartridges. Take the brake off the RUM and its worse than a unbraked .340 Weatherby. I think the extra muzzle blast contributes more than actual energy. It is subjective though and YMMV.

It also depends on what bullet you are shooting; a 300 RUM shooting a 155 grain is much different that a 250 grain pill.

I dont have a brake on my 300 RUM... yet. Recoil is stout. Certainly not something I want to shoot all day. Initial sight in was 7 rounds. I chose to not dial it in perfect that day. Im 6'4 and 240lbs so not a little guy. Rifle weighs 11 pounds right now. It will be getting a brake and probably a heavier barrel.

I have a custom and factory 300 RUM. Both are braked. My daughter started shooting my old Ruger 30-06 when she was 10. She moved up to my factory RUM at 12 when she was able to start hunting big game. She shot her first bull elk and antelope with it that same year. Now she's 18, she's still shooting it, and has never complained about recoil...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.