300 ultra mag recoil

eferry

I just purchased a Remington Sendero SF2, Nightforce 20MOA Base, Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 50LR, Burris Signature Rings, Harris 6-9" Bipod. I purchased a box of Nosler Custom Grade 200gr Accubond, supposedly chrono's @ 3100 ft/sec. to see how it shoots. I know this is a heavier gun which will help reduce recoil. However, I never shot a 300 ultra mag before.

Can someone give me an idea of the recoil I can expect from this rifle compared to a 12 gauge deer slug? Would it be more, less, or equivalent? Just curious...Comments and advice are much appreciated.

I just purchased a Remington Sendero SF2, Nightforce 20MOA Base, Leupold VX3 4.5 - 14 x 50LR, Burris Signature Rings, Harris 6-9" Bipod. I purchased a box of Nosler Custom Grade 200gr Accubond, supposedly chrono's @ 3100 ft/sec. to see how it shoots. I know this is a heavier gun which will help reduce recoil. However, I never shot a 300 ultra mag before.

Can someone give me an idea of the recoil I can expect from this rifle compared to a 12 gauge deer slug? Would it be more, less, or equivalent? Just curious...Comments and advice are much appreciated.

With the weight of the Sendero the felt recoil will be about the same as the lighter Slug gun.

Recoil velocity will be less than the shotgun.

You will be fine if the slug gun doesn't bother you.

Make sure that the eye relief of the scope is set at the max power and as far forward as
possible.

J E CUSTOM

I have pretty much the same setup, only the original SF sendero. Recoil is rough, just depends on how much you can take. I won't brake mine, since I believe a hunting rifle shouldn't require ear plugs. It's still loud, but can't imagine it with a brake with no ear pro. I used the ABs and now use the 208gr AMAX. I can usually get about 20rds down range before I have to call it a day. No experience with slug guns, but it doesn't kick near as bad as my old man's Sako 375H&H. That thing will bring a tear to your eye.(I know, I know, 375 H&H's aren't supposed to kick., however, I've shot unbraked 50BMG's that wouldn't come close to it). Hope this helps. It's a great round!

If the recoil is to much, which I feel it will be, put a break on it and enjoy the rifle. You will shoot it more accurately when not worried about the recoil.

To add to my reply, If you don't like muzzle breaks, practice using a lead sled or something
similar and when hunting you won,t notice the recoil,

If it does kick to much for you then I agree that a brake is nessary for best accuracy.

I use a Lead sled (Without any more weight) for big bores without breaks and It tames
them down to a reasonable level . I don't recomend any more weight because it more than
doubles the weight of the rifle and reduces the recoil velocity by as much, And it can be
hard on fine wood stocks. (I have never heard of it breaking a composit or laminate stock
even with added weight.

Brakes can be distracting and some PHs won't allow the use of them because they are there
to back you up and don't like getting slapped by the muzzle flash/blast .

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
My first 300 rum was a light wieght REM 700 BDL and the recoil was way to much. to help i put a a Sims recoil pad on it and it help a lot but it was still to much to enjoy shooting the rifle and not develop bad habits from the recoil witch i ended up doing. Once you get a bad habit of flinching cause by the recoil it really hard to brake. You will here guys say they can shoot a 375 h&h all day with out a brake and they can but they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn cause they are getting there buts kicked but hey they look cool and are tough guys right.

Do your self a favor and send it to Shawn Carlock and let him put one of his brakes on it and don't look back. My daughter shoots mine know witch is built just like a sendero and she is 11 and weighs a hole 80#. A good brake is the best money you can spend on a big kicker.

I put a Vais brake on mine and also have the mercury recoil system in the but stock. The rifle is about 16# and I can shoot it all day. The recoil is like a 243.

I agree with JE practice on a recoil reducing rest and you will never feel the recoil thus will not develope bad habits. Then when hunting your adrenaline will be up and you wont feel a thing. I shoot mine up to 40 times a day at the range and have no break. To each his own but I dont think hunting rifles need to have a break as I too dont like to have to have ear plugs when I hunt. As a guide I hate muzzle breaks. Trying to spot hits and getting slammed in the head at the same time blows!

Yep, it is going to knock the hell out of you. I had an unbraked sendero 7 RUM, that just pounded me. It took me about 3 years and a lot of 6.5x284, 25-06, etc rounds to get over it. I had a braked 300 RUM, and like everyone else has said, the recoil was nothing, but you're done if you shoot it without plugs

If the recoil is too great simply sell it to me for half what you paid for it. You will be happy not to have your fillings shaken out of your teeth at every shot & I will be happy to have a cannon.

I grew up hunting with slug guns. The recoil is different. Slug-guns can kick hard but it's generally a slower kick. Rifle kick is faster & more of a jab. Almost anyone can learn to handle shotgun recoil. The same can't be said for rifle recoil. Unless a person has strong neck & shoulder muscles, rifle recoil will be rattling their brain. Sooner or later most develop bad habits if that's happening to them.

I LOVE a LeadSled & believe every shooting bench should be equipped with one. If you are shooting any of the "ultra" mags, you need a LeadSled or a brake for bench work. Like others, I can hunt without feeling recoil — adrenaline is a wonderful drug.

Then again, if you decide to sell, call me!

Target shooting can be rough but for hunting you won't notice it. My kids shoot my 338RUM on occasion and they are 13 and 14 years old

I have the same set up as you, but with a Ziess Conquest 4.5-14 power scope. When I first bought the rifle, I had the same thaughts as you on the recoil. After shooting a few boxes of through it, it is not that bad at all

Mine is not that bad, more of a big push then a kick, Make no mistake you want your scope eye relief set right and you need to hold on to it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.