300 Rum barrel twist

TopPin

Searching for an knowledge or input on a 300 RUM with a 1-8 twist barrel. Pros cons ext. Been shooting a Rum for years with a 1-10 twist, and came across another one that has a 1-8 twist. Seemed odd to me to have a 1-8. I am assuming it must be designed for 220 plus grain bullets?

The 1 in 8 is for the heaviest bullets and doesn't do well with the 165 and 180 class bullets. (Recommended for all but the extreme distances).

1 in 10 is the best all round twist for the RUM in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

The 1 in 8 is for the heaviest bullets and doesn't do well with the 165 and 180 class bullets. (Recommended for all but the extreme distances).

1 in 10 is the best all round twist for the RUM in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM
So I prefer to shoot 200 to 220 grain, do you think they would still stabilize well, or do you need to go heavier? Thanks

There are guys shooting the 300 WSM with a 1-11tw and 210 Bergers at 1,000 BR.
Most shoot a 10 though.

Last edited:
If you're going to really stretch it out with heavy bullets(225-230gr) 1:9 will do you well. 1:8 twist is something Hornady has pushed with the 300 prc, which I believe will lean on their heavy(230-250gr) atip bullets. I bought an 8 twist bartlein rem varmint contour barrel planning on going that route, however I went 1:9 on the build. I shoot 300 norma improved which equals rum velocities. If you want to shoot 230s to 1000y go 1:9, if 215s is your game 1:10 will do the trick. Some bullets will blow up due from too much twist and velocity, so select your twist and fodder wisely.

I know a guy who went with an 8 on a project rifle in a 28-30 nosler. He's highly experienced and is having some issues with it. He thinks it's over twisted for 215's.

A 9 or 10 would likely be better suited for you.

I know a guy who went with an 8 on a project rifle in a 28-30 nosler. He's highly experienced and is having some issues with it. He thinks it's over twisted for 215's.

A 9 or 10 would likely be better suited for you.
Hes probably pushing 300,000 rpm's

Comes down to which bullets yer shooting. My factory 300 is 1:10 and is very accurate with 180 grn Accubonds. My long range 300 Rum is 1:9. I planned to shoot Berger 230's with it and it was a perfect match. Not sure a 1:8 is going give you any benefit unless someone is making a 250 grn or bigger bullet in 30 cal...

Comes down to which bullets yer shooting. My factory 300 is 1:10 and is very accurate with 180 grn Accubonds. My long range 300 Rum is 1:9. I planned to shoot Berger 230's with it and it was a perfect match. Not sure a 1:8 is going give you any benefit unless someone is making a 250 grn or bigger bullet in 30 cal...
Berger has the new 245 eol, and Hornady has the 250s. Badlands precision has their new 215gr super bulldozer that needs 8 twist as well. There are options out there, but in my opinion they need a lapua improved case to push em to get the ballistic advantage, over the lighter/faster(215-230gr) options.

Over the years I have always felt factory rifles have to slow twist for my liking and conditions. I shoot mostly at or very near sea level. I just built a 300 RUM with a 1-8 twist. I shoot 210 VLDs. I have a 28" barrel with a break. I am very pleased to say the least.

Personally I think this spin the crap out of everything got out of hand for hunting.
If your going through transonic thats a different story.

Yep. If not shooting through trans, you're just adding more drift, and limiting your bullet choices in which designs/construction you can run through said barrel.

I personally love the 1:8" twist barrels. I use 190 grain VLD slugs and up with a 1:8" twist. I have the empirical evidence to back up my preferences in twist rates.
I am not here to start an argument or make people butt hurt. I have the logs of my rifles to back up my opinions. if you want to shoot a slug over 190 grains, just go 1:8". if you like to shoot 180 grain slugs or lighter then use 1:10" if I use the Berger 215's I absolutely shoot them better in a 1:8" twist barrel. if I am sending a 175 Berger VLD hunter down range I have such better accuracy with a 1:10" twist barrel.
now I go back to my e-mail and get back to my day.
later Y'all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.