300 rum 11.25 twist bullet for elk

ttfreestyle

What is a good weight bullet for this twist (11.25) in a 300 rum? Will be used for elk at distances of point blank to 1000 max if the energy and velocity allow. It shoots the 180 accu bond very well at 3250 fps but if I read my ballistics correctly 800 is max before I drop below 1400 energy. Any reply is appreciated, thanks.

210 Bergers or the 208 ELD-M (since the 208 Amax's are no more). The 200gr ELD-X would work too but I don't think the 212's would stabilize.

I shoot the 210 Bergers in my rum with 91gr reloader-25 it loves the 210s.And it do what you want it to do even out to a 1000 yds.

Try again :rolleyes:

Try again what? The Amax is a frangible target bullet... It would make sense that lower velocities would help it to stay together for better penetration in large game.

It's the same reason Berger VLD's can be so explosive at high impact velocities...Thin jacketed cup & core design.

I wasn't knocking his choice of bullet or the brand, just stating what can happen.

215 Hybrids stabilize just fine in my 11.25x 308win at sea level in cool air. I would imagine that they would stabilize perfectly in an 11.25x barrel at RUM velocities and at elk altitude.

Definitely look at the 210VLD, 215H, and the new EDLX line (200-212), 210ABLR (if you can get them to group) and the new 208.

Many of the suggestions here are on the frail side for close encounters but there is a lot of sectional density, mass and material involved too. Keep these for the longer ranges and keep using your 200ABs for the closer shots...

thanks for the replys , I will do some more testing. My 10 twist rum loves the 215 hybrid , I may give it a try as well as others. I have not been able to get this 11.25 twist to shoot like the 10 , at least not yet!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.