300 remington ultra mag

dcrockett69301

i have a remington 700 long range in 300 remington ultra mag. i bought Berger 215gr hybrid bullets for it. does anyone have a good starting load for me to try including primers?

Start with Retumbo around 85gr and work up until you see pressure signs. Max load in the books is around 89-90grs of Retumbo. A lot of guys shoot Federal 215 primers. I have some, but have not yet tried them. My best group so far with my .300 Win Mag was with Remington 9 1/2 Magnums. They seem to work great and have given me excellent results.

I have the same rifle but in .300 Winchester and it really likes Hornady 208gr A-MAXs and IMR 7828. The 7828 might be a little fast for the .300 RUM, but it is normally readily available and has worked great for me.

d, tried Retumbo and H1000 with 215M primers using 215 Bergers. Best Retumbo load was 91.7 and H1000 was 88.3 none with pressure signs. All loads were over mag length and near manual max, rendering this rifle a single shot. Rifle is a Montana custom in stainless. Start low and work up, no two rifles shoot the same load well. Try the Custom Search top right for more info on loads for 300 RUM. Good luck

I had previously read stuff in here from a guy that seemed to be the go to guy on 300 ultra and and also using the 215 hybrids. I searched for a half hour today and couldn't find any of it. I do not want my rifle to be a single shot so I may have to deal with a little loss of tightness of groups.

i have a remington 700 long range in 300 remington ultra mag. i bought Berger 215gr hybrid bullets for it. does anyone have a good starting load for me to try including primers?

I recently am going down the same road with the same gun and bullet. I just had a brake put on it. I will see this weekend if that makes the gun a better shooter. Also installed a new trigger. So far 92 gr of retumbo gave me 2940fps and 1.75" at 200 yrd. But the 178 eldx was 0.75" at 200 at 3440fps with 100 gr retumbo.
I'm trying the 215 this weekend seated at mag length and the 200 eldx . If I remember I will post results.

Berger 230 OTM
RP brass
WLRM
89.9 gr Retumbo(went to 92.0 but node was lower)
2980 fps
Seated to mag length ~3.7" can't recall off the top of my head but the OTM's seem to be immune to seating depth changes.

Guys are getting more velocity with Reloder 33 than Retumbo but this load shot under a half inch at 200 yards so I never even tried the ladder test with the RL33 even though I had the rounds loaded up already.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/300-rum-230-berger-hybrid-project-153158/

Crockett,

I have the same rifle, same caliber with a custom muzzle brake. I tried the 215's and the 230's and got the best precision with the 215's. Retumbo, US869, H50BMG, and other slow burning powders produced more speed, but H1000 produced the most consistent load for my rifle using 89.5 grains of H1000 (well below max load)+ CCI 250 primers = 2954fps. I was able to get over 3200 fps with the others, but groups went from sub-half MOA to scatter gun performance. Don't waste your barrel chasing fps like I did. Retumbo is a favorite for this combo and may shoot well in your rig, so you should give it a try. Seat your bullets to mag length and fine tune your powder charge to your best groups and don't worry too much if your 100 yard groups don't meet forum standards; my gun didn't shoot its best until we got well past 300 yards. Plan on spending more for your scope, than you did for the rifle...put the best scope on it that you can afford and go have a blast!

-Mike

We put a load together for this same rifle (300 RUM LR) for a friend last hunting season. We were shooting the 181 grain Hammer Hunter over 100 grains of Retumbo with a muzzle velocity of 3350. Loaded to mag length of 3.70, it shot sub moa out to 1000.
As with any load, start low and work your way up.
Brian

I ended up at 91 gr of H1000 with the 215's. Primer is FED GM 215 match. Velocity is only 2985 fps but shoots incredibly well.

I had previously read stuff in here from a guy that seemed to be the go to guy on 300 ultra and and also using the 215 hybrids. I searched for a half hour today and couldn't find any of it. I do not want my rifle to be a single shot so I may have to deal with a little loss of tightness of groups.
I have mine at factory length with the 215's going with 92 grs of h1000.1/2 groups at 300 yards 1 in at 400 and 2 inches at 500.Iam using a 700 stock gun.The only thing I did was lighten the trigger

Berger 230 OTM
RP brass
WLRM
89.9 gr Retumbo(went to 92.0 but node was lower)
2980 fps
Seated to mag length ~3.7" can't recall off the top of my head but the OTM's seem to be immune to seating depth changes.

Guys are getting more velocity with Reloder 33 than Retumbo but this load shot under a half inch at 200 yards so I never even tried the ladder test with the RL33 even though I had the rounds loaded up already.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/300-rum-230-berger-hybrid-project-153158/
So I was just curios about you load. Is it a crushed powder load when seating the bullets down at that length? If so are you also using Remington brass? Thanks for the reply....I also shot the 230 bergers but not at mag length. I been single feeding. I havn't tried them at mag length. Figured it would be a compressed load and cause pressure possibally. I've been shooting 89.4 grains at 3.80 length with 215M primers. I get right at 2940fps.

Last edited:
So many guys talk up RL 33 in the ultra that they get great speeds and great groups. I have be trying to get my 300rum LR to shoot 215s and have be using retumbo and rl33 and retumbo will blow the doors of rl33 and the recoil with rl33 is absolutely horrible compared to retumbo. Maybe the ultra isn't where the 33 shines. I had high hopes of it shooting something that I have loaded since I put the brake on it but it's not panning out. I was trying to use the crappy Remington brass for load development but that's not working. So after being disappointed today I decided to switch over and used my Norma brass. Hopefully this helps or this gun is getting a new barrel.
But surely it got to shoot something well.
I have tried 200eldx , 178 eldx , 175 lrx , 215 hybrid both with rl33 and retumbo.

My Retumbo load is not compressed at mag length with the 230's, I can hear it when I shake them. I turned the necks on the RP brass as they weren't very uniform varying 0.0153 to 0.0125
I'm a little under 0.002 neck tension.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.